The Truth Unveiled

Jacqui's POV

We weren't far from my fortress and I knew Skye needed rest. He was walking beside me on strength of will alone. We passed by a group of souls three of which recognized him instantly.

"Brother!" Two little girls called as they ran up to him. He stared at them in utter shock. An elderly lady came up behind them.

"Skye." She smiled at him.

"Mom? Tessa, Lily?" His voice was quiet, like he couldn't believe that they were here. I really wanted to pull him to my castle and get him to a room before he collapsed, but I had a feeling I should take a step back and let him see his family again. The girls went to hug him, but they passed right through. The woman whom Skye recognized as his mother smiled.

"It's good to see that you're still alive."

"I wonder." Skye's small voice broke my heart again. His mother's smile faded.

"You've made us proud, son." She stated seriously. Skye's eyes filled with tears and he let them fly freely down his face.

"Well, you really shouldn't call him son, mom." Tessa's snarky remark whipped our attention to her.

"Oh, and why is that?" Skye put two hands on his hips and stared hard at the little girl who began giggling.

"Because mama didn't give birth to you! She told us so!" Lily exclaimed before their mother could reply. Skye's tears stopped instantly and his muscles tensed.

"What are you talking about?"

"Maybe we could talk about this in my palace?" I offered. This was news to me and I wanted to hear it, but Skye needed rest. He needed to sit. They all nodded and Skye's grip on my hand tightened. I squeezed in response and led them all to my palace study. Warm chairs and couches littered the area beside a small desk near the window. Skye sat in one of the chairs and when I made to remove my hand from his, his grip tightened.

I looked into his eyes and they were pleading with me to stay. I smiled softly at him as a funny feeling came over me. It was warm and made me feel good. I sat on the arm of the chair he was occupying and didn't let go of his hand. He brought his attention to his mother who sat across from us and the two little girls were allowed to explore the place.

Skye slouched in the seat and rubbed his face with his other hand.

"What are they talking about Mom?"

"You look tired, maybe you should get some rest." She evaded the question and I raised my eyebrows at her. Seeing the surprise on my face and the disapproval on Skye's face, she relented. "It's true. I didn't give birth to you, Skye."

Skye's grip tightened once again and I squeezed back. His mother continued.

"I found you." She smiled. "I was young and had been married for nearly three years. I hadn't had any children and my husband at the time left me thinking that I was barren." Her eyes clouded with the memories of the past and I hoped she'd get on with it. "I was left alone in a dangerous world and if I was barren there was no reason for my life."

My eyes widened in surprise. Is this truly what women think when I don't give them children? When I don't put life into their bellies? My grip on Skye's hand began to shake as his adopted mother continued on.

"I went to the shores of The Unsleeping Waters."

"You wanted to drown." Skye's voice was filled with sorrow. His mother nodded softly before a grin appeared on her face.

"But then a beautiful boat was gliding on the water."

On the water? The Unsleeping Waters drowned any mortal who tried to cross. At least without express permission from Josephine or Jasper, of course. They asked Nyle to make certain no one could get to the Isle of the Blessed. It was the only real connection that led to the Nexus on Comwen. It was where we had blessed Amber when she became a demigod. It was where she was trained. And after her first 'death,' Josephine and Jasper made it sacred land. No one else would touch there. Nyle made all sorts of sea monsters and whirlpools and storms in that particular area. No regular boat would just be floating on those waters.