Safe, For Now

Skye's POV

We'd been hanging out in the marketplace for several hours now. It was getting dark and people were headed home. We heard guards shouting loudly about a curfew and cursed our luck. We needed to hide somewhere and fast. There were two inns in Celeste's City. Both were crawling with Adrian's guards. 

"You know, we could just leave the city." Jasper whispered to me in front of an armor merchant stall. 

"Without any supplies? You're crazy. We wouldn't make it a day out there without food and drink." I reasoned. 

"It's not like these people have much in the way of that either." Jasper noted. "And we can hunt our own food, remember?" 

"Without bows and arrows?" I nearly yelled in exasperation. 

"Your magic is coming along." Jasper responded with a shrug. 

"That's not a good enough reason to use it!" I lowered my head pretending to inspect a shield as a couple of guards looked our way. "Look we need bows and arrows and flasks of water or wine. We have no money. We have no place to stay tonight. What do you suppose we should do?" 

"Steal it like we stole these clothes?" Jasper suggested. Right now, it seemed like our only option. 

I grimaced, "I don't want to keep stealing stuff. It's not right." 

"Well, it's certainly the easier option." He huffed. 

"Just because you CAN do it doesn't mean you Should." I quoted my mother and wanted to slap myself. I shook my head instead. 

"If you're not gonna buy anythin' be on your way, we've got to close up shop before curfew." The stall keeper shooed us away. We casually strolled to a nearby alley and ducked into the shadows. Inconveniently, running into someone. 

"Oy watch it!" A familiar dwarf lunged for what I assumed was stolen merchandise. I gripped his neck and pulled him up to me instead. 

"Do you remember me?" I asked. He looked me up and down and then he saw my sword glowing in it's sheath. 

"Oy, yeah I remember you. Captain, or should I say, Traitor Skye Firebird." 

"Yeah, I'll betray you if you betray us." I stared hard at him. "Do you know where we can stay where the guards won't catch us, thief?" 

"Follow me." He spit on the ground and I put him down. He led us to a cellar underneath the tavern nearest us. It was filled with wine barrels, blankets, and food storage. The dwarf led us to the left side of the cellar. He knocked twice, paused, then knocked three more times. A hidden door opened up and we ducked ourselves inside. This place was filled with gold, silver, weapons, armor, and many more precious things. 

"You betray us, we betray you." The dwarf repeated. Four elves and three dwarves had occupied this room already. I nodded in response. 

"You got it boss! Just tell me where I'm sleeping!" Jasper winked at the females in the room who all blushed. I rolled my eyes and dragged him away from everyone else. We were given some blankets and made beds on top of some barrels I'm certain weren't full of wine. Jasper slept soundly. 

How can he sleep so soundly when he watched his siblings kill themselves?

Deities are immortal, Skye.

But I watched them die!

They blessed your sword with a most powerful magic. Their spirit goes on. I'm certain the Lady Jacqueline has already created new bodies for the both of them.