1.6 stopping

driving back home was never as much fun as the other way around.

Eileen wasn't too proud of how her reaction had been to seeing Conroy there, it had been another place tarnished by his presence but more than that, she didn't him to ruin whatever was happening with Aaron. so instead of being a mature woman and dealing with it, she marched out of the bathroom to where her company held a tray with their food and grabbed his arm, leading a stunned broadway star back to the car and leaving a dissatisfied Irish man behind. several minutes went by, during which they ate their food, before Aaron decided to speak up.

"not that you owe it to me or anything but an explanation as to why we left in such a hurry would be nice."

he was know for an understanding personality, but this whole day gave him whiplash. they went from acting like a semi couple at all the caterers places (Jeremy was so never hearing the end of this) to a almost date at Rosé, only for the Eileen he first met to return. her warm face replaced by that indifferent mask, eyes cold and distant as her mind traveled somewhere else entirely. she appreciated how he'd waited before asking about it, it gave her time to prepare an answer.

"that man right behind you was my ex." he wasn't sure he'd heard things properly.

"oh."

"yeah, he was the last serious boyfriend I've had." Eileen looked at his profile as snowy landscapes flew by, trying to gauge his feelings. "you can tell by my reaction that things did not end well."

"hey, you don't have to tell me anything if you don't want to." his words were reassuring.

"the thing is I want to. I've only ever talked about things with either May or my therapist or Wil and it's not like they're not enough or that I'm going around and open up to everyone I come across." once her heart had decide he was trustworthy, it just began spewing out words, not even caring that the brain hadn't followed. "it's just that I am so tired of keeping distance from you because I actually kinda like and that scares me so much."

Aaron was kind enough to not point out what she'd said just then.

"to be honest, it scares me so much as well." it being whatever they were doing, it being taking their time to figure things out amidst the chaos in their lives. all of that was understood before they continued. "I mean, there's at least three people ready to throw hands for you at any given time." both laughed at that, him in nervousness and her in awe of her friends. "plus, at least from what I've learned in the odd month we know each other, you're so certain of yourself that I wonder if there's room for anyone else in your life."

"there's always a space for those willing to stay." she held his hand, even if it was greasy from eating French fries. "and I want you to."

comeon_eileen a brief summary of how my day went: we saw a whole lot of flowers, ate some crazy good hamburgers, had our car do a spontaneous dance routine on a not so busy road and then had to do an emergency stop at a Starbucks on the home

36.8 k likes | 346 comments
most relevant comments

aarontveit somehow you managed to drop an entire sundae into your perfectly good sweater and my perfectly clean seats.
comeon_eileen good thing you keep an entire freaking wardrobe in your trunk then

notauntmay Jake and I are so thankful for you both ❤️
jakegyllenhaal just keep yourselves alive for the wedding please

polskidot EILEEN FLANAGAN OPEN YOUR DOOR RIGHT NOW

Wilhelm knocked on the door until it was opened (even if the neighbors would hate him for it). he had been dying to hear about their day.

"so tell me," the pair now sat on the ground, by a coffee table filled with junk food. "should I buy another suit?"

"what for?" Eileen had showered and left her hair to air dry.

"for your wedding, idiot." May's voice came from Wil's phone.

"no. not yet at least. oh God, I sound sixteen again."

though they were all in their early thirties, their night reminded them of high school sleep overs.

"except this time your future boyfriend won't turn out to be a jerk." Wil had an ice cream tub on his hands.

"I've made a bet with Tom that you'll be together in two weeks so please help me out." Jake somehow joined them.

"the only thing you're winning is a competition for most reckless driver I've ever met."

"that's a little harsh." both Martina and Wilhelm smiled fondly at their counterparts, surprised at how life was turning out to be.

"life's a little harsh, darling."