Chapter Sixteen

A smooth, warm light woke me up. Slowly my body started to become aware of my surroundings. My body ached slightly from the hard stone. I gently sat up, a course green blanket fell off my shoulders as I did so. A smile made it's way to my lips, remembering what happened moments before I fell asleep. Speaking of the handsome devil, I looked around to notice him sitting on a crate messing around with the bracer on his arm. His helmet was once again off and rested by his side, the smooth light reflecting gently off the T visor. Boba glanced up from his work.

"Ah, so you're awake." I stood up, taking the blanket with me. Folding the blanket up neatly, I looked up to meet his eyes.

"How long have you been up?" I asked hugging the fooded blanket.

"For a while."

I nodded, walking over to him and taking the free spot beside him.

"So what's the plan now?" He paused momentarily, looking up at the tall ceilings. Slivers of glass panes layed at the top, letting in the warmth of the natural sunlight. The soft light enhanced his tanned skin, making it glow.

"We wait. Hopefully not to long." Boba replied snapping me back in reality. A blush formed over my cheeks as I realized I was staring. I hugged the folded blanket to my chest, both of us sitting in a comfortable silence. Boba continued to work on his bracer, his full attention on the task in front of him.

Suddenly my nerves flared up, making me rock back and forth slightly, looking around the large room. Now that there was light illuminating the whole area I could clearly see the horrors of the past. The old battlefield seemed to mirror the gravity of the situation we were about to enter. A cool chill ran up my spine, making me shiver slightly. My eyes darted around surveilling the ruined room more fully. Out of the corner of my eye I saw Boba reach out and gently place his hand on my knee.

"Hey, it's going to be alright." He reassured me giving my knee a comforting squeeze. I swallowed the lump in my throat, looking down at his hand and nodding. Boba gently tugged the blanket from my tight grasp, setting it on the other side of him. He then grabbed both of my hands and cupped them in his larger ones.

"(Y/n), it is going to be okay. I've dealt with these types of people before." He reassured me. I nodded looking down at our entwined hands.

"I know, I'm just nervous for what's to come." I said, it barely come out louder than a whisper. Silence fell over us, covered in unspoken reassurance and promises. Suddenly something started beeping on Boba's bracer. He quickly let go of my hands and gave his full attention to the noise. Boba grabbed his helmet and smoothly put it on his head. "What's wrong?" I asked slowly standing up to follow the hunter.

"One of the sensors was tripped." He said tossing me the blaster I had set down last night. I tried to catch it, but I had to bounce it around a bit before it settled in my arms.

"What?"

"Go hide there," he pointed to some crates in a corner, "and watch the entrances. Don't shoot until you have a sure shot. If you need to give away your position, make sure they won't be able to get to you." Boba picked up his EE-3 and started to speed walk out towards the hallway we came through.

"Wait! Where are you going?"

Boba quickly turned out, holding his hand out gesturing to the crates. "To go check it out. I'll be back, just please get yourself to safety." I stood there silently, looking at him. He seemed to be begging me to stay and I wanted to do what he asked me to, but I also didn't want him to leave me. I have never been in a firefight before. Sure, at Jabba's there would be a few blaster bolts fired, but I was always safe. You wouldn't dare harm a slave, especially one of Jabba's favorites. But now was different. They hunters didn't seem to care about what collateral damage they inflicted, just that they got their own job done.