Chapter 7: "Why is he here?"

Nick and the others had just gotten home. Nick walked into the living room and dropped the groceries he had been holding on the floor. "Why is he here?!" He yelled. Charles sat up and shrugged.

"I wanted to make sure she would be safe until you guys got home. Plus she made me stay," Charles explained. Nick reached forward to slap him and I grabbed his wrist.

"Don't hurt him," I said to Nick. Kevin had to drag Nick away from me, Nick just continued to fight him back. I could tell he was really upset.

Charles grabbed his coat and started to head out the door. "No, you don't get to leave just yet!" Nick snapped.

" Sorry sir, business calls. I got to go," Charles answered. Hope came bouncing down the stairs, with my radio. I thanked Hope and took the radio.

"This is Chief Day, we need you here Officer Jonas," Chief Day demanded, "and Hope- she needs to be here too."

"What's up, chief?" I asked.

"Kidnapping on Main Street," Chief Day explained. I jumped up and ran to my room throwing on my uniform as fast as I possibly could. I put my tools onto the utility belt then raced to the car with Hope chasing after me. I let her in on the front passenger side of the car and shut the door. I ran to the other side, the driver's side, and got in. Once I got the car started, we were on our way.

"There's not enough time Officer Jonas- turn your sirens on!" Officer Sky yelled over the radio.

"Sirens are on," I responded turning on the sirens. I drove to the scene. A mother crying and clutching her daughter's teddy bear.

"We're looking for Gabby Williams. Correct?" Officer Sky asked and the mother nodded. I let Hope out of the car.

I pointed towards the teddy and demanded, "Hope, sniff."

"We'll find her, trust us," Officer Sky said.

"Hope, find!" I demanded. She started to run and I followed quickly behind her, radio in hand.

"Where is she headed?" The worried mother asked over the radio.

"Towards the woods across the street from the strip mall. Down the bike trail," I announced. I heard a gun.

"What was that? Melissa? Are you ok?!" Officer Sky asked in terror.

"I'm ok, but I think we don't have much time. The child could die," I responded. Hop turned a corner that wasn't a legal trail and into the woods, "about three miles down the bike trail, take a left turn. No, you won't be on a legal trail anymore." I started running because Hope was. All I saw was a white older male grabbing a young girl's hair.

"You stopped- What's going on?" The Chief asked.

"Officer Sky, how old does Gabby Williams look to be? What's her height?" I asked.

"She looks to be about thirteen. She's five foot four," the mother answered.

"We've found out Gabby Williams then," I whispered and put the radio on the utility belt once more I then yelled, "stop in the name of the law!"

"We got to go!" The man yelled.

"You have nowhere to run. Police are surrounding the woods, and we have a K-9 from the unit. Surrender now and make it easy for yourself," I recited. He aimed the gun and shot towards me. He shot my dominant wrist and dropped the gun. He started to run but I caught him and cuffed him.

"I have a family!" The man yelled.

"Resisting arrest, kidnapping, and assaulting an officer. This is jail time ya know?" I asked. I dragged him up the trail. I made sure Gabby was holding my hand on my opposite side. Two other officers took Gabby and the man, placing them in different cars. I started to get dizzy, and weak. Officer Sky ran over to assist me.

"Are you ok? You've been shot! You need help!" Officer Sky demanded before he put me in the backseat of his car. He drove me to the hospital where they removed the bullet and put in stitches.

"Man, my brothers are gonna kill me," I said and got up. Charles showed me back to the car and drive me home. Hope licked my face and wagged her tail when we got back to the car. I got out and begged him to come in with me. He laid down on the couch and we rested on the couch like last time.

"You can't always risk yourself like that," he said.

"I know, baby. I'm sorry," I exclaimed, he looked up at me and shot me a glance and shook his head.

"I know you are- but I blame myself most. I could have saved you from stitches!" He whined.

"Baby, you did save me. I'm right here next to you, and that's what's important!" I said. Hope then came over and crawled over both of us and laid down on top of us.

" Oh my gosh, she's getting really heavy," he exclaimed and chuckled. The boys pulled up the driveway finally.

"We're home!" Kevin yelled. I didn't even want to talk to them after yesterday. Nick walked over to the couch and looked like he was about to lose his marbles.

"You leave my sister alone!" Nick yelled.

"Nick, he's my boyfriend!" I confessed.

"He's your what? He's my best friend!" Nick yelled. His expression just dropped.

"Nick, it's fine! Now I have one more reason to be around!" Charles yelled. I reached for his hand and Nick's expression went to volcano angry.

"And what's that from?!" He yelled and gestured to the scar. I started to cry and picked up Hope. I stood up and walked to my bedroom, shutting the door and putting my back against it as I cried. Nick went to trusting and kind and then became mean! I broke picture frames in my room and punched holes in the walls. My knuckles were bruised and bleeding, but I didn't care.

Charles broke down the door (literally) and sat down on my bed next to me and comforted me. "Hey, hey. It's ok! Your brother and I didn't see eye to eye at first, but now we do. He accepts us together now!" He explained. I grabbed his hand and he shook his head, "you never put this much effort into the job, now I know how much you can do!" He walked out and came back with bandages ( the wrap kind) and covered everything. We sat down at the table in the kitchen next to each other for dinner.

"Man that hurt!" I whined.

"I bet it did," Joe said as he examined the bandages, "what did you do?"

"Punched walls, broke picture frames and cried. There was a lot of crying," I answered. Hope crawled under the table and laid down to take a nap, we all laughed a bit at the dog. We then began dinner. We called Nick over to the table and he hesitantly sat down.

"You're still gonna pay attention to me, right?" Nick asked us both.

"Yeah, of course! You're my brother!" I answered. Nick then looked at Charles.

Charles also answered, "Yeah, I'll still pay attention to you. You're my best friend, and always will be."

"Thank you for training my sister, and teaching everything she knows in this job," Joe and Kevin said to thank him. He nodded, and everything was good between all of us. Almost everything.

(ClIfF hAnGeR, sOrRy!)