Chapter 8: Shining like the Stars in the Sky

I sat on the couch, waiting for my brothers to all arrive back at home. They were recording a new song and decided that I shouldn't be a part of it. I huffed and clicked on the TV there was an emergency broadcast. The reporter said, "Sorry to interrupt your channels, but this is an emergency. The Jonas Brothers had been kidnapped little over thirty minutes ago. Police are just now calling for back up. Will their sister be next in line to mysteriously be kidnapped?"

I rushed over to my radio and picked it up and whined, "Chief, I want to be back up for the three brothers that have been kidnapped!"

"Ok fine, Officer Jonas. Don't be late!" He said sternly.

"Never am, sir."

"Yeah, sure," the Chief said. I got ready and in uniform.

"Here Hope!" I called, but she didn't come. I rolled my eyes and walked to Kevin's room. I opened his bedroom door and Hope ran out towards the door. Hope and I got into the car and drove towards where they were last seen. Their parents stood there crying, the mother cried into the father's shoulder. It hurt to see them like this, it hurt to know this was our first approach. Something seemed off as if it was a bit more than just kidnapping. I sighed and walked into the crime scene. A theatre? Why on Earth would they be in here? I heard a cry for help and I jumped.  I ran towards the cry behind Hope. I opened the door to the backstage and I gasped. Kevin was tied to a sandbag, Joe was also tied to a sandbag, and Nick was missing.

"It's a trap, you've gotta go!" Kevin cried.

"He's right, Nick was dragged away from us after he tried to help us!" Joe cried.

"Hope, go outside and get back up!" I demanded. 

"Stainless steel chains, it's gonna be difficult to figure it out without this," A girl said from behind me. Instantly I knew who this was.

"Amber?" I asked.

"None other," Amber answered. I spun around to face her. Amber was Kevin's ex-girlfriend. (This is made up FYI, if Amber is your name, you can change it to something else!)

"Back up is already on their way, make this easy on yourself!" I yelled. She then ran towards the roof. I chased after her. I stopped once I realized what she was about to do.

"I'm sorry. I've been too much trouble, maybe it's time to get a taste of my own medicine," Amber sighed.

"Amber please don't jump, it's not worth it!" I cried. But she stepped closer to the edge. Before I could protest more, she jumped.

"Goodbye!" She yelled.

"Oh my God, oh my God, oh my God!" I repeated as the tears continued to fall. I looked down and- oh God- she's dead... Hope ran up behind me and stopped realizing my sadness. The back up stopped behind her. Charles advanced behind me and wrapped his arms around me.

"What happened?" Charles asked.

"I-I just witnessed a death," I hesitated as I said it. Charles unwrapped his arms and escorted me outside to my three brothers who were already outside. I ran to them and pulled them into a group hug as I cried. Kevin rolled his eyes and Nick punched him lightly. Nick was covered in bruises and it only made me cry more.

"I'm s-sorry Kevin," I hesitated and sniffled.

"Sorry about what?" Kevin asked, scared.

"I watched your ex jump off the building. Kevin, she's dead!" I cried.

"No, no, no! She can't be dead... Oh God,- this is your fault!" He yelled.

"No, it isn't! I told her not to do it! I told her I wanted her to be in this world! I would have jumped off the building after her if it weren't for the back up that pulled me back and away!" I yelled back at Kevin.

"Yes, it is your fault because you didn't stop her! Get out, get out of my life!" Kevin yelled. I looked around and then threw my police hat on the ground.

"If disrespect is all I'm ever going to get from you, I guess I will just get out of your lives, all of you guys' lives," I mumbled as I ran towards the forest. I climbed up the tallest tree I could find.

~ Back with Kevin, Kevin's Point of View ~

Oh God, why did I do that? Oh man, Nick is gonna kill me.

"Kevin, why did you do that?!" Nick hissed.

"I'm sorry- I was just really shocked!" I cried as the tears started to fall.

"Where is she?" Officer Sky asked.

"She ran off somewhere, I don't know where!" I whined.

"Kevin I'm gonna kill you! She was really important to me! I understood her and now she's gone!" Nick yelled before Joe and Charles pulled him back, forcing him away from me.

I then muttered, "I'm sorry- I was just really angry and upset! This is my fault..."

"It's fine- I may not completely ever forgive you but that's not important right now. Finding our sister is what's important!" Nick yelled as he ran the way she had. We all followed behind him, including Hope. I felt bad for Hope- she was dropped off with us and left behind.

~ Back to the regular point of view; Melissa's point of view ~

I heard leaves crumbling and time just seemed to stop. I heard Hope bark and try to climb up the tree to me. I jumped down and whispered, "You found me!" I made everyone else but Nick jump and turn their attention to me, "Ya'all done disrespecting me?"

"I guess," Kevin mumbled.

"Good," I answered. Charles ran up to me and pulled me into a hug, then kissed my forehead.

He didn't want to let go but I stepped back because I didn't want to make Nick upset. Nick ran over and hugged me so hard I thought I wasn't able to breathe for a second. "Never do that to me again!" He cried like he was a dad. That idiot.

"Why do you act like you're my dad?!" I asked in confusion.

"Melissa, that's because I am your dad. I'm your real birth-dad. We hid this secret from you because we didn't know how you would react-" Nick droned on.

"Oh my God! That's amazing, I wondered why I always had a great connection with you. But now I know!" I told him. This is truly the greatest thing to ever happen to me. A Jonas Brother is my dad.