04 l DISTANCE

Distance

_(n), a state in which people are not involved with or friendly toward each other.

LISA WALKED over to where Jennie sat, her bare arms brushing against hers when she sat down next to her. The brunette's heart skipped a beat and she chastised herself. She's just another hot girl now. Not your best friend. She repeated in her head and kept her eyes trained on the Physics teacher.

"Ok, now I want you to take out a piece of paper, write down both of your names, and let's head on out to the open gym. We'll do our experiment there."

A rustle of paper was heard and out of the corner of her eye, Jennie watched Lisa rip out a piece of paper from her plain black notebook.

"Do you want to write the names, or...?" Lisa inquired, and Jennie ignored her. "Ok then," she sighed. "I'll write." She scribbled something and Jennie stole a quick glance.

She doesn't write a small heart over the 'i' in her name anymore. For some reason that bothered Jennie, because it was one of the little things Lisa always did that drove her insane. She would put little drawings on her words and Jennie always found them distracting. It became their thing, however, and she missed it; she wouldn't admit it.

Without another word, Jennie stood up to her full height of 5"5, grabbed her handbag, and walked out. What the fuck is wrong with me? She was a jumbling mess around Lisa, she realized, and was grateful to the heavens she didn't do or say anything that would have made her look like an idiot.

Lisa quietly followed.

Out on the open gym, Mr. Collins was already giving instructions.

"...so try to see if the momentum would be greater if they want faster, or if their travel time was longer," he demonstrated by having a student stand on a moving platform and giving it a push. "Your partners will catch you."

Jennie watched as the platform abruptly stopped and the skinny guy flew into his partner. She heard a grunt at the contact and a round of applause and calls from their classmates surrounded her.

Her palms were getting sweaty. Why are you nervous? Good gracious, just get over this weird experiment and go home.

The problem is that she was going to be having her ex-best friend's hot body pressed against hers numerous times for the next hour. Great.

"Come on," Lisa motioned to an empty rolling platform and started walking there. Jennie followed, and so did her eyes.

Damn, that ass.

It was round, perky, and perfect. I bet her boobs are the same.

The brunette stopped and mentally slapped herself for the nth time today. She had a boyfriend for God's sake. I'm straight. I'm straight. I'm straight. I'm str-

"I think one of the wheels is stuck," the leggy brunette bent down and Jennie's chrome blue orbs widened.

Oh my God, that ass.

She wanted to smack it. She wanted to see it bent over with herself over it.

This time, Jennie physically slapped herself.

"Hey you ok, girl?" Nayeon walked by, smirking. "Try to keep your hands to yourself yeah? We wouldn't want this to end in a catASStrophe." She emphasized the 'ass' part and smacked Jennie's, making her glare at her.

"Hi Nayeon," Lisa had stood back up and shyly greeted the petite Asian.

Nayeon squealed and wrapped her arms around the taller girl's neck, tiptoeing.