When he first confessed (Inner Thoughts)

I thought it'd be a nice change for once to actually have a reader who didn't WANT to be their manager and who had more important things to do than to just watch their bias. Reader-chan needs to be interesting as well, right? Also, I think if Hayama really really loved someone whom is somewhat the opposite of, I think he might change just a little (very subtle changes) to make a good impression, since most guys act somewhat different around their crush. This is just what I think though. Feel free to comment and tell me otherwise is I'm wrong (with proof and how to improve, of course) and enjoy :D

-----

Your heart pumped eratically as the words flowed out of his mouth like water. You couldn't believe it actually, Hayama Kotarō, one of the stars of basketball in Japan actually expressing his interest in you.

At first you thought it was a fake, but then you never really saw him interacting with any other girls. In fact it seemed like he avoided them most of the time.

You were the exception.

On Valentine's day, he kept following you around, scaring off potential suitors (secretly to your pleasure, since you didn't have to deal with them) until finally receiving your chocolates as thanks for warding others off. Though of course he took it as you expressing your 'interest' in him, when really you were just thankful.

He always dragged you to his practices and very obviously kept showing off around you as you kept your eyes on him. You even got to know his teammates, mostly speaking to Mibuchi the most as he was the friendliest besides Hayama. The rest were indifferent to your presence, occasionally speaking to you when they felt like it.

Akashi didn't mind your presence since you were quiet, which you were thankful for. He sometimes asked you to pass towels and water to them, but that was it. They had asked you to be manager for their team once but you declined, although they did drop hints about it from time to time even after that. It seemed like they were set on having you as manager, and for some unknown reason you didn't want to.

You were very observant and the total opposite of oblivious, therefore you knew after a while of collecting proof that Hayama really had a clear and obivous interest in you, though you still wanted confirmation. You fell for him not for his looks or even personality at first.

You fell in love with his subtle gestures and little things he did which no one else noticed.

Though always hyper, he seemed to calm down just a little when around you, and you could tell he was trying his hardest not to screw up. Although arrogant, he made sure to shower you with tons of compliments as to control the need to be arrogant, hiding it by making it seem like you were the better one instead. It was weird though, to see him do these things that he usually did not do.

You could tell that it was so hard for him to have to control himself just because he wanted you to fall for him and to be his. And you fell for all these subtle hints (there were much more) as time progressed. Not wanting him to be uncomfortable, you walked up to him one day and told him to just be himself, because you plainly saw how uneasy it was for him most of the time.

On that day, Hayama fell for you even more. You wanted to see the real him, and you even encouraged him to be so without a complaint! And most of all, you saw through his mask that he put on although it was almost near invisible to see. You understood him. That little exchange prompted him to profess his feelings for you, and by then the answer to your thoughts on him was already evident.

You answered yes without a moment of hesitation, a smile accompanying it.