Friends

Lane

My wife looks amazing, but that's nothing new. She could wear anything and still look gorgeous. She looks cute holding the cake she made today. Kinda like a little girl holding her lunch pail on her first-ever day of school. We decided to try and give a social life another shot. We've given Megan plenty of room over the last six months.

I recently bought Danica a decent SUV, and we've even got the car seat for the baby installed and it's got almost every option. That's what we're driving tonight, and I'm looking forward to seeing the guys. We arrived right on time and I declined a beer. I realize she's a few weeks away from her due date, but I figure anything could happen. I want to make sure I'm prepared at all times.

Danica went to the kitchen with Cara, and I sat down with the guys for a hand of poker.

"The wife looks like she could go anytime," Mica said.

I shrugged. "She's a few weeks away," I said.

"She's still the hottest thing to hit this town." Mark joked. For some reason, they like giving me hell over Danica. If they truly dove into her mind, they would be blown away. She's beautiful on the outside, but it's her mind that attracts me the most. Well, that, and she's incredible in the sack.

"Prepare yourself, it's not easy seeing your wife in so much pain. I was scared shitless when our oldest was born." Kyle said.

"She'll be fine," I said, trying to convince myself.

"She will, and it's worth it in the end," Kyle said.

"Here we go," Mark muttered.

"What?" I asked, then turned to see Megan and Ron just arriving.

"She'll be fine," I said.

We finished our hand, so I decided to check on Danica. Ron is here in this room, meaning Megan is in the kitchen. Danica was helping Cara with something and Megan was sitting at the table talking to Amberly, Greg's wife. I walked up to Danica and wrapped my arms around her from behind, then whispered in her ear. "Is everything okay?"

She nodded. "So far." She whispered back.

"Are you okay with this, I can stay here?" I asked.

She took her head. "It really is fine." She said.

"Let me know if you need me," I said as I backed away.

"Hey Lane, are you getting excited about the baby?" Amberly asked.

"Yeah, it's coming up real soon," I said.

"You're going to lose it the first time you hold that baby." She said, and I don't think it's a good time to talk about it.

"Probably so, I'm going back out with the guys," I said.

"Don't worry about it, I'll just go," Megan said, and stormed out of the kitchen.

"This got old a long time ago," Cara said.

"It's probably best not to talk about the baby in front of her, but I'm just excited for you guys. You shouldn't have to hide your excitement. She got to have three kids and enjoy her pregnancies." Amberly said.

"You guys didn't hear, she's expecting again," Cara said.

"No, we didn't hear, and that's great news," I said.

Maybe that means she's starting to heal.

"Excuse me, I need to use the restroom real quick," Danica said.

"I think I just heard someone go in the one down here, but you can always use the one upstairs if you can't wait," Cara said.

"Thanks, I'll be right back," Danica said, then walked away.

"She seems to be doing really good, Lane. Pregnancy suits her, and I'm only guessing Hank's itching to be a grandpa." Cara said.

"Yeah, we're all counting down the days. We should be moving into the house in a few days." I said.

"I saw it from the road, it's a gorgeous home," Amberly said.

"Thanks, we really put a rush on it to be ready before the baby comes," I said.

It was quiet for a moment, then I heard Megan's voice. "You had no right to come here tonight! These aren't even your friends!" I went for the stairs, but I was too late. Danica was falling toward me and there was nothing I could do.

There was a boom when she hit the last step. "Shit!" I heard everyone running.

"Jesus Christ, Danica, are you okay?" I looked at her and she's passed out.

"Call 911!" I screamed, then looked up and saw Megan with her hand over her mouth like she's in shock.

Cara is at my side trying to wake Danica, while Kyle is on the phone with 911. "Is she bleeding anywhere?" He yelled in and asked.

"Call Doc Hubbard! He will get here before any ambulance comes!" I yelled out.

"What the fuck did you do?" Ron was running up the steps toward Megan.

"Danica, Can you hear me?" Cara was asking, and everything is spinning.

"Lane." I heard a mutter.

"I'm here, are you feeling pain anywhere?" I asked.

"My stomach. Lane, it's our baby." She squeezed my hand tightly and cried out in pain.

"Did you call him?" I screamed out.

"He's on his way!" One of the guys yelled out.

"Get her the fuck out of here!" Cara screamed and yelled at Ron.

My wife is screaming in pain and I'm completely useless. I couldn't care less about Megan at the moment.

"Lane, I'm so sorry!" Megan cried, but I only care about my wife right now.

"Tell Doc to call ahead for the helicopter!" I yelled out.

"Lane, the doctor will make the call when he gets here. He said not to move her." Someone said, and Danica is squeezing my hand as she cried out in pain.

"These aren't contractions. I'm going to check her, but don't let go of her hand." Cara said, then pulled up Danica's dress.

"Shit, she's bleeding," Cara said, then took her other hand and held it as we waited.

"Where the fuck are they?" I screamed.

"Doc is just down the road!" One person yelled out.

"This can't be happening, I'm so sorry!" Megan won't shut the fuck up.