A New Life

Danica

The pain was all I felt when I woke up, but when I opened my eyes, I saw quite the sight. A big strong Navy Seal with a tiny bundle of joy in his arms, while he whispered promises I know he will keep.

"Fatherhood looks good on you," I whispered in a groggy tone.

My husband's eyes lit up, and he smiled at me. "He's perfect, Danica." He sat forward and held up our tiny son for me to see.

"He has your dark hair and your eyes." He said, then leaned in and kissed my forehead. "Thank you." He said, and I smiled up at him.

"He's healthy?" I asked.

Lane smiled. "Very healthy and quite handsome, he has all these nurses wrapped around his little finger." He said.

I smiled. "Like father like son," I said, and he smiled with pride.

"How are you feeling?" He asked.

"Like I was hit by a Mack truck," I said, and tried to sit up so I can see my baby.

"I'll call the nurses." He said.

"Not yet, I want to hold him," I said.

Lane positioned a pillow next to me and laid the sweetest little boy in my good arm. My heart pounded and I felt a tears escape my eyes. "I can't believe we made him, Lane," I said, and my son wrapped his tiny little hand around my finger.

"You're amazing, Danica." He said, and bent down to kiss his son's cheek.

"You should see his hair." Lane said, and pulled up his little hat to show me our son's full head of black fuzzy hair.

I looked up at Lane as he smiled down at us with pride on his face. "Did you call your dad?" I asked.

"Yes, Aunt Janie is bringing him up in the morning." He said, and I noticed it's dark outside.

"Have you slept?" I asked.

He shook his head. "I couldn't if I tried." He said.

I remember what happened, and I felt I needed to cry again. "Megan, she was so angry," I said.

"What exactly happened?" He asked.

"I went upstairs to use the bathroom, but she stepped in front of me and wouldn't let me pass. She said she was doing good until we showed up at Kyle and Cara's and is expecting her own baby, and we should leave town to take her stress away. I apologized, and she ripped a ring off her neck and started shoving it in my face saying something about staying away from her friends. I didn't know what to do, so I started to turn away, but she tried shoving the ring at me again, and that's when I fell down the stairs." I said.

"She's facing charges." Lane said.

"Is that really necessary? She needs help, not punishment." I said.

"I don't know what will happen, but she does need to face charges." He said.

My baby started squirming. "He's hungry again." Lane said, then grabbed a bottle. "Do you want to feed him?" He asked.

"Yes, I'd like that, and maybe you could call the nurse?" I asked, and he handed me the bottle, then hit my call button.

"He's a good eater." Lane said.

"Like his daddy." I teased.

"Have we decided on a name?" He asked.

"We had a few ideas. Which one do you like best?" I asked.

"You did all the hard work, and I like them all, so you choose." He said.

I smiled. "Okay, Ryan Lane Morgan it is then." I looked down at my baby. "Welcome to the world Ryan," I said, and Lane bent down and kissed my forehead, then kissed our son's.

I had to stay in the hospital for a few extra days, and Ryan stayed with me while Lane moved us into our new home. Megan did not lose her baby and the police granted me a protective order. I didn't press charges, only because she didn't push me on purpose. She was careless and allowed her emotions to take over. Ron insisted she seek professional help.

Lane is aware of what kind of sentence my parents and brother received, but I asked him not to tell me. I already know they were probably handed death, but I'm not ready to hear it yet.

Hank continues to do well in our home and has a great social life. He and Lane spend plenty of time in the barn trying to restore an old tractor.

As for me, I bought the diner in town after I received my trust. Lane plans to farm and spend his life dedicated to our family, which will grow again next spring when our daughter is expected.

We took our trip to France and Greece when Ryan was a year old. I was pregnant at the time, but we didn't know yet.

My husband and I both spent years unable to dream about our futures. We both thought we would be dead by now, but instead, we are alive and living our lives to the fullest.

He still teases about the first time he ever saw me. He thought I was wild and intriguing. Many times he says he thought he found leather, but instead he found lace. He doesn't mind. I might not be as tough as he first thought, but he loves being my knight in shining armor.