Chapter 8: Floor 22's Monster

Your POV~
"And that's what happened." I was explaining You Know What Incident to Heathcliff and the rest of the vice commanders.
"I see. Asuna, please relay this to the rest of the guild."
"Roger that."
"Also," Heathcliff looked at me again. "I would like to take a break from the guild with Kirito."
Heathcliff smiled. "What's your reason?"
I blushed. I'm so not telling them we're getting married. "We would like to take a break to rethink our actions in the recent incident." Rubbish.
"Alright then. But I have a feeling you two won't stay out of the front lines for long."

"This is amazing!" I looked at the view from our cabin balcony. Kirito chuckled as he followed me.
"It is really nice, but don't fall off the balcony, that would really suck."
"We got the best house."
"And Haruki now has your room."
I laughed. Asuna and I had a chat, and we mutually agreed that herself and Haruki should live in our Selmburg house from now on.
"It's worth it though, since we can live in peace here."
Kirito went quiet. "Kirito? What's wrong?"
"I was just wondering...Is our relationship...Only in game?"
I slapped him, not too hard though. "Idiot, of course not. And I swear, when's we get back to the real world, I'll find you again, and I won't care who or what gets in our way, to love you again."
He smiled. "That's the Y/n I know."

"You sure about this?"
I nodded. "Yeah! You should go to the lake first though. I'll get a picnic basket over."
I looked as Kirito took some fishing equipment and left.
"Alright...Time to clean."

Kirito's POV~
I never seem to catch anything when I go fishing. I really enjoy it though.
"Having some problems?" I turned my head to see a rather old man sit down beside me. He cast his rod, and catches something really quickly.
"H-How-?"
"Oh, I've been doing this since the floor opened."
No wonder.
"My name's Nishigata."
"Kirito."
We chatted and fished for some while.
"Man, how I wish I could make sashimi here."
"I think you can do it with a high enough cooking skill." My mind instantly shot to Y/n.
"Really? But still, there's no soy sauce in the game..."
"Well, I know something that tastes like soy sauce."
"...WAIT WHAT?!"
I was taken aback.
"I heard soy sauce and I'm not sure what to make of it Kirito."
Y/n was standing on the top of the hill, with a picnic basket in her hand. She was wearing a grey, knee length skirt, and a white dress shirt along with tights and brown boots.
"Hey Y/n." I put down the fishing rod. "Oh, Nishigata, this is Y/n. Y/n, Nishigata."
"Pleased to meet you Nishigata-san."
"Hello to you too young lady."
"Anyway Y/n," She looked at me. "You have that soy sauce tasting liquid still, right?"
She took some time to process what I said, then nodded.
"Wait a minute, you have soy sauce?" I chuckled at Nishigata's shock.
"Yes."
"Where do you buy it?"
"I-" Y/n looked at me. "Well you make it."
"Wow, can you tell me the recipe?"
Y/n smiled. "Why don't we chat over lunch?" She took out the picnic blanket.

"Incredible, you're a genius Y/n-san."
"It's nothing, really."
"I guess I'll work my cooking skill then..."
"Or..." I looked at Y/n. "Y/n, you mind making sashimi tonight?"
Y/n's eyes lit up. She clapped her hands together. "Oh I'd love to try that! Why don't you come over Nishigata?"
"Well, I don't know how to repay you..."
"It's fine, though do you mind supplying us with some fish? Kirito barely catches any." I rubbed my neck in embarrassment.
"Of course I don't mind."

"Wow, that's the best dinner I ever had." Nishigata patted his belly. Isipped some tea and almost choked because I wanted to laugh.
Y/n stood up. "I'll get a spare bottle and fill it with soy sauce for you, Nishigata-san."
"I'm truly thankful. If it's not too much, can I ask a favor, Kirito?"
"What is it?"
"There's an upcoming fishing event, and that's the only time we ever get tons of people here. I want to try fishing the Monster Fish, but I don't have a large enough strength buff to pull it up."
"So you're saying..." I had a thought. "That we switch once the fish is on the rod."
"Indeed. What do you say?"
"Pardon me butting in." Y/n put down a bottle on the table. "But is there going to be tons of people there?"
"Well," Nishigata thought a little. "Yes, but not as much as the 50th floor."
Y/n let out a sigh. "Alright, carry on the conversation."
"I'll do it." Nishigata smiled. "I like the challenge."

"No offense, but how am I suppose to switch with a fishing rod?"
"You tell me, Kirito."
Y/n and I were getting ready for bed.
"I'll have to work out a way to hide my identity."
"Right...I would like to avoid awkward conversations."
Y/n turned off the lamp. "Good night, Kirito."
"You too, Y/n."

Your POV~
  "Hm..." I put on a long black button coat over my dress shirt. "What about this?"
  Kirito looked at me. "Still not very good at hiding your identity."
  I took off the coat and replaced it with a white, hooded one. "What about this?"
  "Much better."
I sighed. I sometimes wish I wasn't well known sometimes.
"Let's go."
I put up my hood. "Okay."

"Hi, Nishigata-san."
"Oh, why are you wearing a hood Y/n?"
"To prevent awkward conversations." Me and Kirito said the sentence together. We laughed afterwards.
"I see. Well then, sit back and enjoy the show. I'll call you over when it's time, Kirito."

I sat around a few events before Kirito was called over. They soon made the switch, and even with a near max strength skill, Kirito struggled to pull the fish up. It was weird, but a field boss marker explained everything.
  "Kirito! The fish you're pulling up is a field boss!"
  "Wait what?!"
  Kirito let go of he rod just as the fish surfaced. It even had legs to walk on land.
  Kirito ran all the way over to me.
  "No fair, Y/n."
  "That aside, you brought your sword?"
"Erm no?"
"Ah well..."
I threw off the coat I was wearing and unsheathed my rapier.
I walked towards the field boss. It's a field boss on the 22nd floor. It can't be hard to beat.
I could here Nishigata shouting at Kirito in the distance.
"K-Kirito! Your wife!"
"Don't worry, she's got this."
I smiled at Kirito's confidence.
"But-"
I timed it, and charged towards the fish with <Linear>. Sure enough, after the strike, the fish exploded into polygons of light.
I sheathed my rapier, and smiled back at Kirito.
After that I started to panic. Inside, mind you. A moment of silence, then a crowd of people surrounded me.
"Oh my god, how did you do that?"
"That was amazing!"
I could only smile awkwardly.
  "Wait...Have I seen you before...?"
  "Erm, I-I..."
  "You're the War Goddess, aren't you?"
  Crap.
  "Erm, yes."
  I started walking towards Kirito, with a few people following me.
  "I'm a really huge fan!"
  "You're so badass!"
  "Th-Thanks..."
  I ran towards Kirito and gripped his arm.
  "Can I get your auto...graph?"
  Kirito and I looked at each other with the exact same "Oh no" look.
  "Wait, you're the Black Swordsman, right?"
  "Are you two...together?"
  The rest of the day was spent awkwardly.

  I banged my head into my pillow. "Why did I take off my cloak..."
  Kirito patted my head. "You didn't have any other choice."
  I bolted up. "Of course I had a choice!" I slammed my head back into the pillow. "I could've just used my rapier without taking off my cloak!"
  Kirito laughed as he turned off the lamp. "We still have tomorrow, don't we?"
  I hugged him. "Mm."
Author: I can't believe I ranked 47 in sao fanfic at the time of writing. Thanks so much guys!