2. To Sea, Finally

Steward had finished showing me where and how to get wood and coal for Captain's stoves, and we were in the ship's waist, next to the mainmast, as he explained the use of the water barrels, buckets and wash tubs. I startled when a bell pealed loud and long from aft. Then again at a sharp bellow, "Hoy! Hoy! All hands! Prepare to sail."

"We'll stay here, Boy. There's nothing for us to do except keep out of the way."

"And watch."

"Yes. Watch close so you can see the places which are out of everyone's way. You need to know where to go when you're caught on deck like this."

I stood turning this way and that, watching in awe as men clambered up through the hatches, and upon reaching the deck, struck out in different directions. Some climbed the rattlings up the masts, others assembled around the helm, but most gathered in small groups along the bulwarks. Everyone appeared to know where to go and what to do. Except me.

Shouted orders brought immediate responses, and I sighed with relief as the gangplank was hoisted aboard. This is happening. All these years of yearning. Dreaming.

Mooring lines forward were let go and heaved aboard as the jibs were ordered hoisted and sheeted. Zeelandia's bow swung slowly from the wharf when the breeze filled her sails, just as I had watched so many times from ashore. The last stern line was released, and as it came aboard, we gained way, continuing our swing to starboard toward the harbour mouth.

My soul celebrated. At sea! Finally! I drew a deep breath of salty air and sighed, reflecting to the days of sitting as a small girl in Father's lap, listening to his tales. Dreaming of someday having many adventures of my own. Finally, someday has arrived, and...

My thoughts were interrupted by Steward's voice, "Back to our duties, Boy. Have you more questions about how to wash his clothes?"

Reality! Adventure will come. "No, Steward, it now seems clear. I have used a rather similar method at home the last while with the staff let go."

He paused, looking around in silence for a few moments before he again spoke, "Then, we're done out here. The rest is inside. We'll begin with how his privy closet must be."

I followed him into the great cabin past my door to the next one, which he opened. "Check the bench every hour or two through the day to always ensure it is clean. Pay particular attention to the area around this hole; with the ship rolling and pitching, his aim will not always be as accurate as intended."

I nodded, bringing the image to mind with an unfamiliar interest. "With what will I clean it? Seawater or fresh?"

"You may use seawater to wash, but always rinse with fresh." He pointed to the smaller hole and the line running down through it. "This leads to the tow rags, and you are to ensure they are always clean and regularly changed."

"Tow rags?"

"The pieces of cotton at the end of the line. They hang in the water and are rather well rinsed by the ship's motion. But when becalmed, at anchor, or in port, you must change them more often." He indicated a box at the end of the bench. "The fresh ones are kept there."

"Should I change them now, so you can correct me if I do it wrong?"

"A fine idea. We've been lying to the wharf a good while since the last boy was set ashore." He closed the door. "Always ensure this is shut, so the odour doesn't enter the cabin. Some marine growth can be as foul as faeces."

I nodded as I pulled up the line, and when the wetted end came into view, I said, "Shall I change the line as well? This one is near as foul as the cloth."

"Excellent idea. Come, I'll show you where to get new line and acquaint you with Bosun's stores. You'll find soap, brushes and cloths there, as well." He patted my shoulder. "You'll make a fine Boy."

As we made our way forward along the deck, I asked, "May I know about the ship? I am curious about her name; it sounds Dutch."

"It is Dutch. She was a forty-two-gun ship of the line, captured from them as Zeelandia by our Navy and renamed Zealand by the Admiralty."

"But she is not Navy, nor is she Zealand."

"The Navy sold her by auction to a privateer."

I nodded. "And he changed the name back."

"No, he kept the name and sailed her for nine years until our new captain bought her."

"Aha! So Captain changed the name back."

"No, he knows it's bad luck to change a ship's name. He corrected the Admiralty's error, reverting her to Zeelandia to appease Poseidon and Neptune."

"Aha! That would be why the old beggar on the wharf said the ship is cursed. She thinks the name has been changed, not reverted."

"Possibly that as well." He pointed astern. "But there was a crone back there warning everyone there be a woman aboard."

"Hah! Another myth about being cursed."

Steward shook his head. "Myth?"

"Father said it is." I looked up to see interest in his eyes, so I continued, "This ship has sailed for nine years with a changed name, and she sails still. Seems no evil has befallen her."

"True." He paused and pursed his lips. "To the contrary; we've had nought but success."

"See now! Does this not show it as myth?"

He nodded. "You are wise for your age."

"Thank you. Father always told me this."

Steward led me all the way forward, where he pointed toward the men, breeches lowered and sitting on boards above the waves on either side of the bowsprit. "This is where you will do your business."

I watched the activity for a few moments before I nodded in understanding. Then he led me aft a short distance to descend through a hatch into the hold and forward to the stores. After he had told the storeman what I needed, he said, "I must get back to see if Captain needs anything. I'll leave you here with Bosun to gather your supplies."

"Thank you, Steward. I shall be directly back."

While the storeman picked items from the bins and shelves, I asked him, "Have you been aboard long?"

"Seven years, now."

"A long time. You must be happy with the ship."

"Oh, I am. Some's been here longer than me. Some from the beginning, like Captain."

"He looks too young to have been aboard nine years."

"Started as a cabin boy, like you. But we're sposed to be working, not talking." 

When he disappeared into the depths of the storeroom, I thought, fourteen and nine, twenty-three. Captain is only five years older than I.

This warmed me.

Bosun returned as he wrapped a piece of twine around his hand. "A hundred feet of tarred marlin should last you a while." He slipped it off his hand, bound it with an end and set it on the table with the soap, brushes and cotton. "Have you a knife?"

"No, Sir."

"You'll need one. And a stone." He chuckled as he opened a drawer. "But call me Mate. Sir is for officers."

"Yes, Mate."

He roared a laugh. "You're an eager one, you are."

"Been dreaming about it since I was a little..." I cleared my throat. "Since Father began telling me tales of his sailing adventures."

I unfolded the cotton, placed the items in its centre and plucked up the corners to make a bundle. "Thank you, Mate. I must go and begin proving my worth."