35. To Know or Not to Know

While we lugged the bags to the night cabin, eight bells pealed, and I looked out through the stern windows to see the clouds in the western sky had begun their evening colouring. I asked Charles, "Shall I fetch our supper?"

He shook his head. "No, not yet, Camille. I had the Cookery Mate informed that we will not take ours until the offloading has been completed and I have addressed the ship's company."

"Shall I go forward to check on the progress of the work, then?"

"It might appear odd if you did. It is more usual that I attend to such matters, or have one of my officers do it for me. I shall go once the last of these bags is hidden, and you remain here to remove the Guinea belt, so that I will not be tempted to dally." He chuckled as he nodded down at my front, then he pulled a closet door open and pointed. "One of these cravats will make a fine replacement. Your waist is barely half again the size of my neck, and I take two turns, but you need only one."

"I have my spare binding cloth, and it will do perfectly well. A silk cravat is far too fine for the purpose."

"Nothing is too fine for you, Camille."

I hummed a contented sigh as I turned and wrapped my arms around him. "You say the sweetest things."

After a kiss, we placed the last of the bags into the space, and Charles left to head forward. I examined the space to find the best place, then I stood, untied the knot and pulled the cincture from the hoops, letting my breeches fall to my feet. As I bent to lay the Guinea belt down between the bags, Steward's stern voice sounded behind me.

"Boy! What are you doing there?"

Oh, God! Arrived to serve supper. Dare not mention the hiding place. "Arranging and tidying, Steward."

"With your breeches down?"

"The cincture parted when near done, so I thought to finish this before redoing."

"That was eight bells. Why have you not fetched supper?"

"Ch-Captain has asked for it to be delayed until after he has addressed us all. He is gone now to check on the progress of the offloading." I folded the mattress and bedding back down to cover the hole, then grasping my breeches, I pulled them up as I stood.

"You need a stouter line to secure those, Boy. Bosun's stores will have a piece more suitable. Possibly, you need to learn a better knot."

I turned and nodded as I held the front together. "Thank you, Steward. I shall fetch something stronger."

"Fine then." He pointed forward. "I will return after Captain has spoken."

When I heard the outer door close behind him, I breathed a deep sigh, then another and another and more, trying to calm as I folded the muslin into a narrow sash. With my breeches once more secure, I lifted the mattress and bedding again, slid the lid into place and keyed the two locks closed.

I had almost finished rearranging the bed when Charles spoke as he entered, "The final lot is on the wharf, and there remain only three waggons to complete their loading. I am told it will be a quarter-hour or less."

"Near finished here. Near caught, as well."

"Caught?"

"Steward arrived when my breeches were at my ankles."

"He saw nothing, I hope."

"No, only my butt as I bent to place my Guineas. Fortunately, my back was to him when he entered."

Charles winced, and I questioned his concern, "What is it?"

"From the rear, with you bent, I have observed that the details of your womanhood show more than from the front. Far more, and the view as you move in that manner excites me beyond measure."

"Oh!" I bobbed my head as I pictured the posture in my mind and thought to the men on deck as they bent. "He would have expected to see a ballocks purse hanging there. Let us hope he did not dwell on the sight."

"From where did he see you? Did he enter here?"

"When I pulled up my breeches and turned, he was just outside the doorway."

"We can hope his vision has gone a bit blurry at that distance, as well. He needs spectacles for close work and for reading."

"If he had seen my reality, would he tell others?"

Charles shook his head. "I think not. He is quiet and discreet. This is why he was chosen to work here and below in the gunrooms. Those who serve as he does, close to the officers, cannot help but overhear all manner of talk and observe things that should not be spread."

I nodded as I recalled my discussions with Steward. "And he would not be fearful of my presence since he does not consider having a woman aboard as a curse."

"How know you this?"

"We have talked about it. It was from him I learnt of your belief in the old superstitions; changing a ship's name, departing on a Friday, having women aboard."

"It is not like him to talk about others."

"He did not offer; I pulled it from him. As my interest in you became more intense, I posed questions to him in a subtle manner, allowing him to believe I wanted to find ways to better serve and please you."

Charles chuckled. "Yes, you do have a talent for gaining information. Thinking now of all I have told you, you know a fair bit more about Zeelandia than do most of the crew."

I smiled up at him. "All to enable me to better assist you."