23. Arising of the Morning

Saint Michaels, Barbados — 17th December 1676

I awoke with the glow of dawn lighting the night cabin, and I snuggled closer to Charles, kissing his shoulder and shifting my arm across his midriff. He stirred but did not wake.

So peaceful. So comforting.

A while later, I woke again to light taps on my wrist. "Good morning, Charles. Have you slept well?"

No reply but for his quiet snoring.

Another tap. Then another, and I lifted my head to see what was causing this. There, throbbing to the beat of his heart, the bedsheet rose and fell above his belly. I trembled at the memories of the pleasures Cyclops had brought last night, and wanting to see him again, I sat and lifted the sheet away. So huge.

Truly Cyclops. I giggled to myself, recalling how we had named him that. The mythical one-eyed giant.

Dare I caress him? Would it be proper with his master asleep?

But what is propriety? Doing what others deem fitting? Doing that which does not offend?

Recalling how amused Charles had been in the hostelry last evening when I thought him asleep while I had caressed Cyclops with my cunny, I rose and knelt to straddle him. Then bending Cyclops up and into place, I sighed as I slowly sank.

After a few gentle ups and downs, he stirred, and as a smile grew on his face, I asked, "Are you awake, Charles?"

"Ummm." He shifted his hips, then opened his eyes. "Ummm. I am now, and you may awaken me in this manner whenever it pleases you."

I giggled then churned my hips. "Cyclops awoke me by tapping my wrist. Seems he wanted more attention, so I obliged."

Charles lay still but for his hands, one tweaking a nubbin, the other caressing my nether bud until he had caused the now-familiar quaking of pleasure to course through my body. While I calmed, he offered a series of quick thrusts, soon spending himself into me.

We then lay conjoined and caressing, and when his waves of convulsions had waned, I asked, "Is this as how you had imagined it would be?"

"Better." He shuddered again. "So far better than I had conceived. And what about you, Camille? How does this compare to your imaginings?"

"I have had no time to imagine. I only last week discovered the pleasures my bud brings, and I had put little thought to how we might together share this – other than deeply sensing I wanted to."

"But you knew about how our parts are designed to fit together."

I shifted my hips and nodded. "Not until Edwards had informed me of it."

"Edwards?"

"He calls himself Edwards the Mid. We spoke while I ate, and when he learnt that I knew nothing about coming of age, he offered to share with me what his father had told him."

Charles chuckled. "All the while thinking of you as a young boy. I recall doing that with others when my changes came."

"And as you had shared with me, like a father to a son." I shrugged. "Neither Mother nor any other woman has spoken about it with me, so I do hope my manner with it pleases you."

"Exquisitely so. I cannot conceive what better there might be."

"If there is better, we shall find it with practice. We have..." I paused as the bell pealed, and after counting six, I said, "Half an hour until breakfast. We should rise, clean and dress before Steward arrives."

As Charles washed Cyclops with a cloth wetted from the ewer, I placed a basin of water on the floor and squatted above it. "At home, I had a bidet for this. Might we find one in the town?"

"What is a bee day?"

"A French convenience, an oblong porcelain vessel on a low, narrow stand which I would bestride to wash my nethers." I bobbed up and down over the basin. "Bidet is also a small French horse, and I would think this meaning comes from it resembling riding one astride."

Charles watched in silence as I washed, then he said, "That would also be easier for me. Carlisle Mercantile has a broad selection of crockery and porcelain. Furnishings of wood as well. All manner of goods for a home, and in fact, a fair portion of our cargo for here is that they might freshen their selection."

"Might I go ashore to find one suitable? And possibly a low stool upon which to set it?"

"It is not safe for a woman unaccompanied."

"But I shall go as a boy."

He shook his head. "Neither would that be safe."

"But I was safe last night when I fled ashore."

"You were fortunate to have not been nabbed and taken as pressed labour. The demand for sugar has caused a need for workers far beyond those willing, and many children have been taken from the streets."

"As I have read happening in London?" I winced at the possibility.

"Indeed, and even with the steady arrival of slaves from Africa, the demand grows."

I nodded, remaining silent while I finished washing, and as I began drying, I said, "Might I sketch an image for you that you know for what to search?"

"It would be easier for you to accompany me ashore while I conduct my affairs with the merchants, and we can –"

"Would the crew not see this as strange?"

"No, not in the least. It is custom for officers to take a midshipman ashore to assist and to further teach them the affairs of the ship, and the captain taking his cabin boy is not unusual."

This pleased me, and my thoughts of venturing ashore with him sent a warmth throughout my body as I finished drying my cunny. Then we stood gazing at each other, motionless but for the rising of Cyclops. I giggled as I patted his head. "Down, my good friend. Later. We have just now cleaned from you."

Charles chuckled as he extended his arms toward me, and I stepped into an embrace and a long, passionate kiss.