4|

The best part of running late and snagging a last-minute ride from Jim was always finding Sebri waiting for me in front of the school. 

I greeted her that morning, after we waved goodbye to Jim, by rubbing my cheek against her bicep. "Sebby, I die when you're in denim."

"Off me," she laughed, pushing my face away. "Come on—I've got your books."

A classmate paused near us. Tom-something.

"Yo, you like cows?" he asked.

"The fuck?" Sebri said.

With a nod, he walked off.

Sebri stared after him. "Are they actually getting stupider?"

"Lucy said they've been daring each other to walk up to you," I explained.

"So they are getting stupider."

"The evidence does suggest so."

Our informant tracked us down before first period to show us pictures she'd looked up after walking in on her mother with a boyfriend.

"I hope there was some wiggle room," I deadpanned.

Sebri snorted, unruffled.

"Have you done anything like that?" Lucy asked her, wide-eyed.

"Not into BDSM."

"What the hell was that the other night, then?" I said, and Lucy, clutching at her throat, wheezed.

"There are exceptions," Sebri allowed, leering.

I held up my hand. "No seduction before I've had my lunch."

"That's too bad..."

"On a scale of one to ten, how disappointed are you?" Lucy said, her fist hovering under Sebri's chin like it held a mic.

Smirking at me, Seb lowered her head to speak into it. "One hundred. Thousand."

Lucy hooted.

Later in the bathroom, I whispered, "Really with the BDSM comment?"

Sebri shrugged. "It's true. My mother ruined that shit for me."

Of course she hadn't said that in front of Lucy.

"You're joking, right?" I said.

"Sure."

She wasn't joking.

"I'm going to find her one day," I growled.

"Don't be mad. I meant what I said. Wag a finger and I'll bring the rope. Ever trussed a turkey?" 

Where are you?

Although rare, there were times when we lost each other in school. Texting was usually our solution.

Heading to you lookin' cute

Sebri smiled at her phone and looked up, scanning the hall, one hand in her pocket. My God, had she hurt herself again?

A girl walked up to her, something in that walk making me tense.

Sebri's smile changed as the girl said something.

By then, I was close enough to hear my best friend say through her teeth, "You're gonna be real fat when I stick my leg down your throat."

"Fat" was a new one. I rolled my eyes, fighting a giggle—Sebri always made the best threats. I could actually see her walking down the hallways, dragging that chick around like a bad shoe.