Chapter One.

Gardenia never thought she would be so disgusted in her life, she has been shoved, ignored and catcalled within the past fifteen minutes

Gardenia never thought she would be so disgusted in her life, she has been shoved, ignored and catcalled within the past fifteen minutes. It was her first week in New York. It was the complete opposite of the South, she hated just about everything about this place. Where were the good mornings? The hellos? Or the how you doings? Were people that rude or did they want to stay to themselves? She was puzzled by the behavior in New York.

Gardenia stood on the subway between two sweaty construction workers because one man didn't want to give up his seat for this old lady so she gave up her seat for her. Just disrespectful was all she could think.

Gardenia didn't care but she covered her nose as she turned away because it was such a pungent smell and she was just so close to getting sick. She didn't want to get sick, not on her first day of hell. Her stop came and she quickly pushed through people.

The seventeen-year-old walked through the crowds of people, she walked down the street and she looked at the streets, numbers and she counted the buildings. Her school was just about five blocks down which was a relief. Gardenia looks around as she walks through Manhattan and it was an extremely beautiful area. The large buildings, the very lively and scenic restaurants and stores. She might actually like this place if the people weren't so rude here.

Gardenia finally got to her school, Harrington High which was a very large school and she wasn't used to very big schools but she thinks that she can handle it, maybe. Gardenia bites her lip as she walked up the pathway that led to the school door that's when about dozens of eyes come her way. She looked around and she was wondering what everyone was looking at but then she realized it was her that they were looking at and she felt her heart beat even faster at the ambiguously amount of attention that she simply wasn't use to, especially back at home.

The girl honestly was very intriguing to look at, she stood about five feet, she has deep dark brown skin that wasn't considered the beauty standard from where she was from. If you were darker than a paper bag then you weren't considered beautiful at all, in fact, you weren't even considered human because of how dark you are. That's exactly what kids and people treated the poor girl. Her parents were pretty neutral, weren't dark as she was so they were fine but her brothers and her sister were lighter than their parents so guess who is their parents favorite?

Gardenia had very thick medium length hair that was in a low bun, she wore a white lace chiffon blouse with dark flared jeans and her white converse.

She walked into her school and there were kids of all races just talking with one another, walking together and some playing catch in the hallway. The social difference from the South was hitting her so badly that she doesn't think she could handle all this.

Gardenia walked through the hallway and kids looked at her as they whispered and chatted with their friends. She nervously crosses her arms as she walked through the large crowds of kids. She bites her lip softly as she reaches into the side pocket of her backpack and she pulls out a paper that was her schedule. They had seven classes in total for the day which was a bit different because she came from a double block schedule system.