Chapter Six.

~

Gardenia runs through the double doors of her school, she was late and she is never late. She hated being late especially on the first days. She was doing group torturing every Monday. She tutors kids in different subjects like English, Government and Math class as if she's a teacher. She thought it was a good idea because there was no way she was gonna spend every day after school teaching kids when she had things to do herself.

She rushes into the library and there's nothing but white kids sitting down. Gardenia swallowed hard as she got closer and the kids looked at her. Gardenia sat her things down, she straightened out her red and blue flannel shirt. She rolls up her sleeves and she smiles as she looks at the seven teenagers. "I'm Gardenia, I'm pretty sure some of you know that. Um.. we can go ahead and get started. Pull out any assignments, homework and reviews. I'll move around as much as I can for the next hour and thirty minutes but you will all leave with the help you need." Gardenia stated and the kids stared at her as if she's just talking to air.

It was quiet and Gardenia waited for them to do what she requested them to do.

A kid with platinum blonde hair, brown eyes, he had black frame glasses and he had freckles everywhere. He scoffed lightly as he started putting his stuff away. "If I had known that some porch monkey was gonna tutor me, I would have never shown up. My Daddy gonna lose his mind once he finds out that his money going to a nigga." The white boy grumbled and Gardenia takes her glasses off because she didn't play that, she was about to get right with his ass.

Gardenia steps forwards and he slams her hands against his book bag, shutting it and she looks him in the eye. "Listen here Honky... I don't like those words that came from that filthy mouth of yours but I have you know... Nigga or not, I'm gonna be the reason you'll graduate. So if you walk out that door and continue being the ignorant little shit that you are.. gon' right ahead because everyone in this group is gonna pass." Gardenia says and the group stares with shock but one girl smirked because this is exactly the person they needed.

The boy sighs and she smirks as she takes her hand from her book. "Alright then, Cracker Jack, like I said.. take any homework, assignments, and reviews out." Gardenia says she puts her glasses on then takes her pen from behind her ear. The boy grumbled and he gave Gardenia a glare. "My name is Thomas." He hissed and Gardenia shrugged as she looked at one of the teenager's worksheets. "I'll call you whatever I like since I'm a porch monkey or a nigga to you." Gardenia says as she leaned against the table, she began to erase some of the answers.

Thomas stares at Gardenia because he didn't like being called a Cracker or a Honky either so he knows how she feels. "Gardenia." Thomas mumbled and Gardenia looked at Thomas with a small smile. "Thomas." She replied and she walks over to him, he gives his Government review to her. Gardenia didn't know how black teachers, nurses, doctors or anyone in that line could work for or help people like Thomas but she figured out a way to have a little fun because those little slurs phased her none especially coming from a Thomas or a Helena either.

~

Gardenia walks to her locker and Batya was beside her talking about the new burger joint that opened up near her house. "We gotta go, Gardenia, I heard that Barbara Streisand is gonna be there." Batya marveled and Gardenia scrunched up her face. "Who?" She questioned and Batya shakes her head as she covers her ears. "I can't believe I'm hearing this... you don't know who Barbara Streisand is..? I-" Batya couldn't even finish her sentence because she was so shocked. Gardenia stops as her locker. "Sorry, I grew up watching Eartha Kitt, Dorthy Dandridge, and Ruth De Souza." Gardenia shrugged and Batya sighs as she shrugged, she let Gardenia make it one time but she was gonna learn who Barbara Streisand is.