Chapter 20

Then
1 year later (11 BBY)

Azel remembers a time when she would have done anything to see what a tree looks like with her own eyes. The holobooks could never capture the true beauty and pigmentation that the leaves hold. Nothing can compare to the way they dance in the wind, the colors they change during different times of the year, or the white noise they make when brushing together in the breeze.

Now she wants to be as far away from them as possible.

Don't get her wrong, she loves the way the Force moves in nature, and the trees and wind are a part of that. It reminds her a lot of her training on Coruscant and those memories are near and dear to her heart.

No, she loathes the trees of Yavin IV for an entirely different reason.

"Miss Skywalker?"

Azel turns and sees none other than the bane of her existence, Mon Mothma, donned in her daily robes (white today) and daring to look peeved, an expression Azel has become all too familiar with on her face.

Azel only gives her a glance before returning to her lightsaber forms, that doesn't stop the woman though.

"How many times must I tell you, you cannot practice your weapon training on the landing tarmac?"

Azel pauses, looks around to see she has a few curious engineers and mechanics attention, and then up to the sky where there is no X-wing in sight.

Azel shoots a glare over her shoulder before going back to her forms.

She can feel the older woman sigh just as another person joins her.

"Ah, maybe you can talk some sense into her."

"Relax, Mothma." It's Bail Organas voice. "The tarmac isn't being used at present."

Mon Mothma huffs. "She missed the briefing," she grumbles.

Senator Organa says something that Azel can't hear but she can sense Mon Mothma leaving with her irritation following closely behind. Azel ignores how she swings extra hard on her next few airstrikes. The Senator waits for her to finish, and when she does, Azel relents and powers down her weapon. She uses her sleeve to wipe sweat from her brow.

"Are you going to tell me I should be more respectful towards her?"

"No." Bail says and comes up beside her. "But you probably shouldn't test her."

Azel scoffs. "I'm the most powerful here. It's why she hasn't tried anything and never will."

Bail stares at her, Azel can't meet his gaze. She knows how she sounds, but it doesn't make it any less true. "The Jedi were never about being the most powerful. They've never been invincible." He pauses as if debating if he should continue with his next words. "You're treading dangerous waters, you should take care with how you speak and act."

Azel shoots him a glare. "Why thank you, Master Organa, I'll keep that in mind while I try to uphold the outdated conditions of all the dead Jedi." Azel holsters her brothers' weapon and turns back to the entrance of the hangar.

"Azelynn." She freezes before she reaches a second step. They rarely use first names for each other. Ever since she went to him for help a year ago it's always been Skywalker and Organa, so hearing her name from his mouth is startling and feels out of place. She doesn't like the way her stomach rolls with his tone as if she disappointed him. "I understand you're hurting and I cannot even begin to understand how much, but please listen to me, if not for me or anyone else here, then for him."