Chapter 19

"Sahara, I want you to come over here today," Julia said emphatically.

"Why? What's wrong?"

"I need to speak with you and it's very important. It can't wait. So I don't care what you have to do, but make sure you're at this house before the day ends." Julia's voice was stern.

Sahara was puzzled as she got off the phone. Julia hardly ever took that tone with her. It must be something serious, Sahara mused as she looked over her schedule.

She also ran over in her mind what she might have done wrong and couldn't come up with anything. Her curiosity was piqued, although she was also a little nervous. Her mother didn't get upset with her very often but it sure sounded like she was upset with her now.

She was supposed to go over to Tony's but it looked like she was going to have to reschedule. She dialed Tony's number, her mind still on what it was her mother could be upset with her about.

"Well, this is a nice surprise," Tony greeted her. "How are you, my queen?"

Sahara smiled. He started calling her that after the first night they kissed and she kind of liked it. "I'm good, Tony. I'm calling because I'm gonna have to reschedule our appointment tonight. There's some kind of issue with my mother."

"Is she all right?"

"I think she's fine, but I just need to go over there. She was very adamant about it."

"I understand. It's no problem. But you know you owe me, right?" he asked, his voice dropping.

Sahara's smile widened. Ever since that first night they kissed, they'd been doing that and a lot more every time she went over there. They still hadn't had sex, but they had done just about everything short of it. Sahara really looked forward to her time there. She would clean the house first, and then they would enjoy each other. They kissed, they grinded, they explored each other's bodies. Usually afterward, Sahara would get right up and leave. They didn't spend a lot of time talking.

Once Sahara got to Julia's, her mother wasted no time getting down to business.

"I am very concerned, Sahara," Julia said once they were both seated in the living room. "I think your social life is getting a little out of control."

That was the last thing Sahara expected. She didn't even think her mother knew a lot about it. Had someone told her? "Why do you say that?"

"I've been getting some calls," Julia said. "Some of your clients have been wondering why you've been cancelling so many appointments lately."

"Are you serious?" Sahara marveled, embarrassed. She felt like a child who had been tattled on.

"I'm very serious. They said it's not like you at all and wondered if you were ill or something. I really didn't know what to tell them, Sahara."

Sahara blushed and looked down at her hands. "I don't know what to say, Mama..."

"These people are my friends, Sahara," Julia continued, looking right into her daughter's eyes. "I referred them to you. It partially reflects on me when you behave irresponsibly. Now what is going on with you?"

Sahara looked at her mother timidly. She had never liked being reprimanded by her, which was part of the reason she tried so hard to stay out of trouble. Now, as an adult, she still tried to stay on her mother's good side. Julia never really raised her voice, but she had a crisp, stern way of speaking when she was ticked off that made you feel about two feet tall.

"Mama, I'm sorry if I've embarrassed you. But I didn't think things were all that bad. I've just been trying to enjoy myself like everyone's been telling me I should do."