Chapter 20

Sahara wiped away the tears that streamed down her face with the back of her hand. She had been in her room crying ever since Rison told her she didn't want to live with her anymore.

Rison had never, ever spoken to her in such a manner. She had always been such a sweet and respectful little girl. Ever since she was born, she was Sahara's little sidekick. They had an extra strong bond since Sahara was a stay-at-home mother for most of her life and Rison was the only child. Wherever Sahara was, Rison was right there with her. And that's how Sahara loved it. She loved how Rison wanted to be wherever she was, especially since she knew that would probably only last so long. Sahara wanted to relish every moment of her little girl's undying devotion. She could kick herself for messing that up.

She had no idea things had gotten so bad. All she had wanted to do was a have a little fun and be carefree for a while. She didn't mean to neglect her little girl in the process. But apparently that's exactly what she had done. Charlie tried to warn her but she hadn't wanted to hear it. All she had cared about was what she had wanted.

For all the penalizing she had been doing of Kyle, she hadn't been acting much better recently.

She wondered if she should call Kyle and let him know what was going on. Maybe he would have some suggestions. At the very least, she knew they needed to put their heads together and find a solution to this. Their daughter was feeling abandoned by them both and it was past time they dealt with it.

But once again, when she tried to call Kyle, she got no answer. After two calls, she gave up, frustrated. For whatever reason, he still wasn't answering her calls. This was getting ridiculous. How was it that he was always calling her, but always unavailable when she tried to call him?

She was just lying on her bed, looking mindlessly up at the ceiling when she heard a hard knock on the door. Thinking it might be Kyle on another one of his impromptu visits, she quickly got up to answer it. For once she would be glad to see him because they really did need to talk.

But it wasn't Kyle at the door. It was his fiancé.

Sahara slowly opened the door, a slight frown on her face. She fully laid eyes on her cousin Wanda for the first time in what seemed like forever. She was one of the absolute last people Sahara wanted to see right then and she didn't try to make it seem otherwise.

"What are you doing here, Wanda?"

"Now is that any way to greet your cousin, Sahara-Beara?" Wanda asked, using Sahara's childhood nickname.

Sahara crossed her arms and shot Wanda a stern glare. Her cousin stood there looking all prim, dressed in a form-fitting white short-sleeved blouse and beige skirt that stopped at her knees, her large breasts and ample bottom straining against the fabric. A purse hung over her shoulder and her hair smelled freshly done.

"Wanda, I am not in the mood today, just let me tell you," Sahara warned. "And I really do not appreciate you just showing up at my place unannounced."

"Would you have welcomed me over if I had called?"

"I might've at least been more receptive than I am right now."

"Sahara, I just need to talk to you for a minute. I'm already here; it would be rude not to let me in."

"Well I guess I'll just have to be rude, then," Sahara said coldly, starting to close the door.

"Sahara!" Wanda called out, blocking the door with her hand. She wasn't used to all of this attitude from her usually-polite cousin. "Look, I don't know what your issue is today, but don't take it out on me. Is this how you want to treat family?"