Five

Due to the heavy guilt that was crushing my lungs, I couldn't go back to sleep. So instead I just lay motionless on the old squeaky bed in Jules' guest bedroom feeling like a horrible person. After two hours of blinking and no sleep, I decided to just wake up and try to do something about the guilt or I wouldn't be able to go through my day. 

I made my way into the kitchen managing to glance at the wall clock. Half-past five. No such thing as too early I thought as I started to grab stuff for breakfast. Maybe if I made Timothy some breakfast I wouldn't feel like there was an elephant sitting on my chest.
I got busy and managed to make an omelette and waffles by the time it was six o'clock.

"Oh, you cooked !" Jules said excitedly rushing over.

"Good morning to you too. " I said placing the waffles in a plate next to the omelette.

"Ow! " Jules exclaimed after I slapped her grabby hands.

"I didn't make food for you. You can make your own. This is for Timothy."

"Great. So you kidnap my house, cook my food and don't even leave any for me?" She sulked taking a seat on the stool.

"Don't worry I have breakfast for you."

Her face lit up just before she saw me place a bowel, milk and corn flakes before her.

"I can clearly see the love. She said pouring her mill first. "

Timothy trudged past the kitchen with barely a good morning and shut the door forcefully in the shower.

"Mmhh. I think he is mad at you." Jules mumbled with her mouth full.

"Yeah thanks, Jules because obviously, I can't see that on my own. " I snapped washing my hands and trying to figure out another way to get him to at least look me in the eye like a normal person.

"I was only making conversation don't bite my head off." Jules chastised as continued to shove cereal in her mouth.

Timothy walked put of the shower in nothing but a towel wrapped around his waist. Then he made a lot of effort to not pass by the kitchen counter just to get to the guest room to change. All these weird odd behaviour made me feel even more guilty. Because in the three days I had known Timothy he had been a happy person and not he wouldn't even smile because of one put of place comment I made.

He came back dressed in sharp expensive clothes, that he brought from the agency thank God. He looked profession and ready to work with his hair combed neatly and shoes pointed and shiny. A part of me also thought he looked very attractive but that wasn't the point. He pushed his phone into his pocket before facing Jules and me to say goodbye.

"I made you a to-go bag?" I said trying to coax him into talking to me.

He bent down to tie his shoelace then glanced at me wearily before answering " Thank but I don't need it just give it to Jules. "

He turned to leave and my mind scrambled for something to say. I need him to talk to me because blurting out I am sorry didn't seem appropriate for situations like these.  Not that I had ever had a fight with my husband before.

"Here let me help you fix your collar. " I said as a last-minute resort. 

"Don't worry about it, I will fo it when I arrive. " He said before shutting the door in my face.

"So to go bag ?" Jules said signalling the brown bag I still clutched in my right hand.

"Here I am going to shower. I have interviewed all day. " I said placing the bag on the counter before going to the bathroom.

My shower was uneventful and long. The longer I stayed under the running water the more my guilt shifted to anger. Why was I even concerned with how Timothy felt? He wasn't even trying to listen to my apology. Yet all. I wanted to do was to ...to...well I don't remember. But if he had listened to me we probably could save a lot of time. 

I got put out of the shower and made quick work of dressing up and preparing for my first interview. Maybe if I got a job I could solve one problem in my life. Then deal with other things later on. Because Timothy was not my only priority.

The day was painstakingly slow and with the rejections, I was getting it felt even worse. I got home and relaxed then  Timothy came back from work looking more grumpy than he did in the morning. Great as if my day was not horrible enough. The night progressed slowly with Timothy going out of his way to avoid me. Even if I tried to signal that we needed to talk.

"Ok, I am going to sleep,"  Timothy said as he walked towards the guest bedroom.

"Um, where you going?" I asked panicked and standing up.

"To the bedroom. You know to sleep..."

"Yeah no, we are not sleeping in the same bed buddy. Didn't we already have this talk?" I said watching him roll his eyes.

"Yes, we did.  You said if I can't afford to buy you dinner its 'couch city' for me." He paused then pinched the bridge of his nose as if he was bored and irritated.  "So since I have a job and I can buy you dinner I am sleeping on the bed! You can either take the couch or suck it up.  He said before walking into the bedroom."

"Husbands! sheesh." I muttered under my breath.

It wasn't that I didn't want to sleep in the same bed with Timothy. It's just that we were still strangers and it felt wrong and weird. I delayed channel surfing as I tried to think of a way to make this not weird. But I couldn't think of anyway. Besides the fact that he was still angry at me and I was still frustrated with him just the idea of rolling around together in bed was frightening.

Part of me wanted to just sleep on the couch but that would mean I let him win so I threw that idea out.