Six

I sat on the couch legs propped up on the opposite end. I was watching a new movie that was showing. It was supposed to be sad. So I came ready armed with tissues and snacks. I hadn't had supper because the thought of cooking made feel sad. What was the point of cooking a meal for one? Jules was sleeping over at 'someone's' house and Timothy was not back from work yet. Even if he was back he was still giving me the cold shoulder so what was the point.

As if on cue I heard keys jingle then a disgruntled Timothy walked in. In his hands was a bucket of KFC and a MacDonald's package. The food smelled delicious and I was already hungry. He placed the packages on the table then proceeded to the bedroom to put down his bags and change. I watched the food as I tried to think if it was rude to just open them up and start eating. He was angry at me already, a little more damage wouldn't hurt.

Just when I was about to reach out and touch the bags. Timothy came out of the bedroom in his sweats and my avenger's shirt. Something positive in me preened and it wasn't for the shirt. Which looked really great on him. Even if it was just a shirt. He looked like the stuff of dreams. I wanted to just stand up walk over to him and say, welcome home babe, then wrap my arms around him. But I didn't. 

"How was work ?" I asked instead, biting my lip and checking him out for a few more seconds.

"Exhausting. Brought you dinner. " He said moving to sit next to me on the couch.

"You did ?" I asked him surprised that he was even thinking about me.

"Of course, I am the working husband I have to take care of you too." He said it in a caring tone that I completely ignore the part of that sentence that was a jib at me.

"Thanks," I whispered before looking up at his face.

He was watching me as if he didn't understand me as if I was this mysterious new thing in his life he had never seen before. Which okay I was but so was he.

"I am sorry if I hurt your feelings the other day. "

I said pulling my legs up on the vouch so I could face him.

"It's okay I understand." He answered moving to sit closer to me.

"No. it's not okay." I said letting my hand rest on his well-toned forearm. This knocked me off my balance a bit because I didn't know he worked out. And when did he do all this working out? "I should have been more considerate of my words. And also you are my husband now so I should care about how you feel too. "

"Its okay Eric." He said handing me a big mac and a coke.

"Do you want to watch this movie with me?" I said accepting his peace offering and moving to get the remote.

"Sure," he said.

The movie was sad and made me sniff a couple of times. Something I was not proud of but Timothy was worse than me. So after were done eating I pulled him into my arms. He placed his head on my chest and his legs now spread towards the end of the couch tangled with mine. It was peaceful. And calm. And put breathing was synchronised.

It almost made me forget that this marriage was not odd. I let my hands run through his hair as I held him close.  His heart was steady but his tears were still flowing.  It almost made me not want to tease him. Almost.

"Wow. I wonder how much you cried for finding Nemo if this got to you. "

"It was not a pleasant sight. " He paused as if trying to recall a memory. My father did not take if well. He was one of those fathers who are set on things like men don't cry men don't do this. So that movie earned me a whole week of tasks that everyone hated.  My mother said it was only because I have a big heart."

It was the first time he had ever said anything about his oast so I welcomed the information and tried to prob without stepping on landmines. I kept playing with his hair as he spoke about his brothers being liked more than him.

"Did your father ever get angry because you were gay?" I asked wondering if his father fit in the stereotype.

"No our family was a complicated family but that's one thing everyone had no problem with.  According to my dad, I could love whoever I wanted as long as it wasn't someone from the opposite side. And as long as I still behaved like the man he raised me to be. " Timothy's voice was now low as if talking about all this was triggering emotions he shouldn't be having.

"He sounds like he cared about you," I answered giving him the out that he needed to not talk about his father.

"Yeah...What about you did you cry when you watched Finding Nemo."

"Of course I did I have a heart," I say feigning shock.

"You have a heart. Where?"

"Haha funny," I said throwing crumbs at him.

"You know, I am happy you apologised. After our fight, I thought you were just tolerating me because I had nowhere else to go," he said sounding sad and burying his head further into my chest.

"Of course not. Look this marriage might not be conventional. And I didn't think it was real but I am willing to try it out and see where it goes. And anyway we have lived together for so long now at the very least I would consider us friends. " I said rubbing circles on his back before placing a kiss on his forehead.