Chapter 3

A short while later, the rain had subsided and the sun was beginning to set. The party stopped to rest at a broken down shack, a shack that Gandalf wasn't too fond of. He inspected the broken house, running his fingers along the splintered wood. He determined that it was not safe, but Thorin was already setting up camp.

"We'll camp here for the night. Fili, Kili, look after the ponies, make sure you stay with them. Oin, Gloin, Get a fire going," The dwarf in charge barked commands at his comrades.

"I think it would be wiser to move on. We could make for the hidden Valley," Gandalf comments, earning a hard glare from Thorin.

"I've already told you, I'm not going near that place," Thorin growled in response.

"The elves could help us. We could get food, rest, advice," Gandalf continued.

"I do not need their advice," Thorin stubbornly seethed.

"We have a map that we cannot read. Lord Elrond could help us," Gandalf pressed, annoyance clearly growing in his voice.

"Help? A dragon attacks Erebor. What help came from the Elves? Orcs plunder Moria, desecrate our sacred halls. The Elves looked on and did nothing! You as me to seek out the very people who betrayed my grandfather, who betrayed my father," Thorin's growled very firmly.

"You are neither of them. I did not give you that map and key for you to hold onto the past," Gandalf retorts.

"I did not know they were yours to keep," Thorin spits.

With this, Gandalf lets out a huff and storms off angrily. Bilbo Baggins protests behind him and Urzoth cant help but burst out in laughter. Thorin lets out a huff of finality before turning to Bumbur, who was struggling to light a fire. "Come on Bumbur, we're hungry," He grumbles.

Night had fallen and Fili and Kili were sitting on a couple of rocks, watching the horses quietly; though, Kili wasn't paying much attention to the horses. He was busy watching Urilarue, who was looking at the soup handed to her in disgust.

"What are you staring so intently at, brother?" Fili's words made Kili jump.

"Huh? Nothing," he replied quickly, pulling his gaze from the dwelf girl.

Fili let out a loud laugh, "Were you looking at Urilarue?"

"No!" Kili replied quickly, his cheeks flushing.

"That's a relief," Fili said with a laugh, "She's a rather ugly creature."

Kili was angered by this. How could is brother call a being with such magnificent eyes ugly. Sure, she had a big scar across her face and she was rather pale, but that was what drew Kili to her. Everything about her was mysterious, and he wanted to know all her secrets. But he could never tell his brother all this. Fili could never understand, so Kili just let out a light chuckle at the comment and nodded.

Urzoth could hear their conversation. She let out a small sigh at Fili's words, but what hurt more was when Kili had agreed. She thought Kili liked her, he was always so nice to her. To be frank, Urzoth was starting to like Kili too. She thought she had made a friend in the company, but now she realized she hadn't and was still at square one. Her thoughts were interrupted as the Durin brothers burst through the bushes yelling about trolls.

The company creeped through the trees to see Bilbo being held by a giant troll. They just barely heard the last of what the foul creatures where saying. "Are there any more of you little things hiding where you shouldn't?" One of them asked.

"No," Bilbo answered quickly. The dwarves couldn't help but smile as Bilbo protected them.

"He's lying!" another troll accused to which Bilbo immediately denied.