Chapter 24

It was well past sundown and Thorin tasked the company with building a wall using fallen debris and stones. Despite having had the entire day to rest, the group was still exhausted and their efforts were quite pitiful. Nonetheless, they were dwarves, and anything they built, even in a sloppy manner, was beautiful and practical.

"I want this Fortress made safe by sun-up. This mountain was hard-won, I will not see it taken again," Thorin shouts from his place upon a pile of stones.

"The people of Lake Town have nothing. They came to us in need. They have lost everything!" Kili protests, dropping his wheelbarrow full of stone.

"Do not tell me what they have lost. I know well enough of their hardship. Those who've lived through dragon fire should rejoice! They have much to be grateful for," The mountain King replies darkly. His blue eyes shine with greed and anger as he stares upon the flickering campfires in Dale. "More stone! Bring more stone to the gate!"

The king picks up a large stone as if it weighed nothing and firmly places it on their wall. The other dwarves watch in horror, though no one makes a move to stop him. They work all through the night. By morning, the wall is as high as the original gate was and is twice as thick. A makeshift stone staircase serves as a means to climb to the top, so by the time Bard the Dragon Slayer rides towards them, they all stand on their wall, tired, but ready for confrontation.

"Hail Thorin, son of Thrain. We are glad to find you alive beyond hope," The man says with a small bow of his head.

"Why do you come to the gates of the King under the Mountain armed for war?" Replies Thorin icily.

"Why does the King under the Mountain fence himself in like a rover in his hole?" Bard counters.

"Perhaps it's because I'm expecting to be robbed," Thorin growls.

"My Lord, we have not come to rob you, but to seek fair settlement. will you not speak with me?" Bard pleads.

Thorin watches the man wearily, studying his face, determining his genuineness. Eventually, and much to the other's relief, the Mountain King climbs down his stone stairs and stalks over to the small hole in the mountain. He doesn't look at bard, he stares solely at the ground in an attempt to disrespect the man. It doesn't work however as Bard is as confident as ever.

"I'm listening," Thorin says.

"On behalf of the people of Lake Town, I ask you to honor your pledge. A share of the treasure, so that they might rebuild their lives," Bard says urgently.

"I will not treat any man, while an arm host lies before my door," Thorin growls in reply.

"That armed host will attack this mountain if we do not come to terms."

"Your threats do not sway me."

"What of your conscience? Does it not tell you our cause is just? My people offered you help and in return you brought upon them only ruin and death!" Bard now pleads.

"When did the men of Lake Town come to our aid but for the promise of rich reward?" Thorin simply hisses.

"A bargain was struck-"

"A bargain? What choice did we have but to barter out birthright for blankets and food? To ransom our future in exchange for our freedom? You call that a fair trade? Tell me, Bard the Dragon Slayer, why should I honor such terms?" Thorin asks darkly.

"Because you gave us your word. Does that mean nothing?" Bard replies in despair.

Thorin steps away from the wall and turns to face his company. "Begone! Ere our arrows fly!" he shouts.