Chapter 10

Urzoth tensed. The company sat huddled amongst the rocks while Bilbo went to check on the status of the orcs that had been trailing them for days. However, it wasn't the orcs that worried Urzoth. She had picked up another scent. This scent was familiar, though she didn't know where she knew it from. 

Kili was watching Urzoth and immediately noticed her change in demeanor. Her nose flared and her eyes narrowed. Her eyebrows furrowed and her lips turned to a frown. He was about ready to ask her what was wrong when Bilbo came running back through the rocks.

"How close is the pack?" Dwalin demands.

"Too close. A couple of leagues, no more. But that's not the worst of it!" Bilbo replies, out of breath.

"Have to wargs picked up our scent?" Dwalin continues anxiously.

"Not yet, but they will. We have another problem," Bilbo answers hurriedly

"Did they see you? They saw you!" Gandalf asks worriedly.

"No, that's not it," Bilbo answers exasperatedly.

"What did I tell you, quiet as a mouse. Excellent burglar material!" Gandalf comments proudly, earning murmurs of agreement from the rest of the dwarves.

Bilbo is very annoyed now. "Will you listen! Will you just listen!" Bilbo yells, drawing everyone's attention, "There is something else out there."

Gandalf's face pales slightly. "What form did it take? Like a bear?" he demands earning a shocked look from the hobbit.

"Yes- uh yes, but bigger. Much bigger," Bilbo replies, eyebrows furrowed.

"You knew about this beast?" Bofur accuses. Gandalf doesn't reply, he only staggers back slightly. Bofur continues, "I say we double back."

"And be run down by a pack of orcs," Thorin states, shaking his head.

"There is a house. It's not far from here where we might take refuge," Gandalf announces.

"Who's house? Are they friend or foe?" Thorin asks, eyeing Gandalf skeptically.

"Neither. He will help us, or he will kill us," Gandalf answers solemnly.

"What choice do we have?" Thorin asks.

A loud roar pierces the air. The scent Urzoth had picked up before grows stronger and a shiver runs down her spine. Whatever this creature was surely wasn't friendly.

"None, come on!" Gandalf yells, leading the company into the forest.

Urzoth's legs hurt and her throat burns as she runs. The only thing that keeps her moving is fear of being caught by the beast. The company dodges trees and jumps over rocks and logs until they break into a grassy plain. A large wooden house can be seen a few hundred yards away.

"This way, quickly! To the house! Run!" Gandalf shouts.

Urzoth forces herself to go faster. Another loud roar is heard and she glances back only to see a giant black bear burst through the trees. It charges toward them, gaining on them easily. Bombur picks up his pace and sprints past everybody. It would've been comical, had they not been being chased by a giant bear.

Bombur runs straight into the door of the house and ricochets back, falling to the ground. The other dwarves reach the door and begin ferociously pounding on it as if that will make it open. Thorin is the only one with sense enough to open the latch, and they all push through. They push the door shut on the giant bears face. It was a struggle, but they eventually got it shut.

"What is that?" Ori asks through pants.

"That is our host," Gandalf answers, earning bewildered looks from the dwarves. He continues, "His name is Beorn and he is a skin-changer. Sometimes he is a huge black bear; sometimes he's a great strong man. The bear is unpredictable but the man can be reasoned with. However, he is not overly fond of dwarves."