Chapter Fourteen

Hazelpetal woke up with a shiver. The air was bitter. It had been a single moon since she was called to be Deputy. Hazelpetal had helped pick the names for two apprentices becoming warriors. Poppyseed finally became a full Medicine cat, and Yellowstem was accepted as a warrior for her many long moons of training. She had also witnessed the apprenticeship of Dovepaw, who's mentor was now Darkfur, and Smokepaw, who's mentor was now Fawnwing. And to top off her first moon of being a Deputy- Roseberry, and Thistletail had their final litter of kits. Primrosekit looked just like her mother, but with amber eyes, and Buzzardkit, who looked like her father, but with blue eyes. Finally, Stonestripe and Mapletear retired to the Elder's Den.  Hazelpetal felt the fur rise on her back at the thought of Stonestripe. If only he had taught Snowheart battle moves then maybe... Hazelpetal shook her head. "I can't dwell on the past." she sighed and exited the Warriors den. The clan cats that were awake awaited her guidance. 

"Hazelpetal! Please- Oh please can we go to the gathering tonight!" Smokepaw and Dovepaw ran to Hazelpetal's paws. 

"If you promise to behave yourselves," Hazelpetal starts, while the two apprentices started to creep away with joy. "and if your Mentors approve." she finishes with a smirk. The two apprentices groan and trot over to their Mentors. Hazelpetal felt a tail rest on her back. She looked up and saw Crowstar beside her. She couldn't help but smile. 

"You will be sat next to me tonight. You will tell about our new members of the clan." Crowstar explains.  Hazelpetal dips her head. 

"Sounds good. Who shall I select for the gathering?" Hazelpetal questions. Crowstar hums and stands up.

"I'll let you decide that," he replies softly. "the Elders need their bedding changed and we need some patrols. " Crowstar finishes then steps into his den. Hazelpetal nods and climbs on top of his den. 

"All cats who are old enough to hunt and swim please gather for today's activities." Hazelpetal calls as cats begin to gather. "Mudstream, Pinetail, and Leafstripe. I want you three to go hunt near the thickets. Reedheart, Yellowstem, Twilightpelt, and Thistletail. I want you four to patrol around the border. Re-apply our scents since it snowed last night." she orders. The cats began to exit the camp. Dovepaw and Smokepaw wait eagerly for their instructions. 

"Will we be doing anything today?" Smokepaw asks. Dovepaw stood next to her with hopeful eyes. Darkfur and Fawnwing stood beside the two. 

"Yep! You'll be cleaning the Elder's den and checking for ticks." Hazelpetal commands. This caused the apprentices to groan. 

"Come on, I'll show you how to get clean moss and get rid of the old, dirty moss." Darkfur nudges Dovepaw to the camp's exit. "They ought to be cold too, we'll find some moss underground so it won't be covered in snow,w" Darkfur explains. Fawnwing purrs.

"You'll be checking the elders for ticks and fleas. It sounds unappealing, but it's your duty to make sure they are comfortable." she starts to walk to the medicine cat den. Smokepaw huffs and follows her. 

"Hazelpetal, a moment please?" Waterstep nervously approaches the Deputy. Hazelpetal turns her head to face the small, wide-eyed warrior. "Th-The..." she stutters.

"What's the matter?" Hazelpetal asks. 

"The wol... The wolves. They... They ha-have been... How... Howling ag-again." Waterstep stammers. Hazelpetal looks up at the cloudy sky and shakes her head.

"They have been blocked off. They can't hurt you." Hazelpetal says softly. She didn't say it, but after realizing that Wolfsbane was hiding in the Birch Forest, then maybe... Maybe she was planning to do something horrid with the wolves that lurked the forest? Hazelpetal shuddered. 

"The-They took my mother away. Whu-What if they c-come back for m-m-me?" Waterstep squeaks. 

"I'll make sure they won't lay a claw on you. It's my duty to protect the Clan and my Clanmates with Crowstar after all." Hazelpetal promises. 

After the patrols came back and the Clan was settled. It soon became time to leave for the gathering. Fernflight, Pinetail, Leafstripe, Ashfire, Yellowstem, Darkfur, Fawnwing, Dovepaw, and Smokepaw would be attending. The group of cats was lead by Crowstar, Hazelpetal, and Poppyseed. Whitesoul decided to stay behind. Once they arrived, DustClan was already waiting for them. The meeting began moments later.

"DustClan has unfortunate news," Chillynose began. "Tawnystar has lost her final lives from the cold. We do not know how she lost so many, but she will always remain in our hearts. The Clan is now lead by me, Chillystar." he says proudly. The clans began to shout his name. After it began to grow quiet again, he spoke once again. "Willowsong has rejoined the Clan and pledged his loyalty. Along with him was a rouge. She found her new home here and is now known as Antfang." he finishes.

"DustClan wouldn't just take in two rouges... " Hazelpetal muttered to herself and scanned the crowd. She spotted Jenna and narrowed her eyes as she saw a smug look on her face. "Did she turn in Wolfsbane?" she wondered.  Hazelpetal felt a hot presence by her side suddenly. She turned her head and saw that a nearly transparent she-cat was standing next to her. It had the same yellow eyes as the cat that visited her in her dreams before. This time, she could see the she-cat's grey fur with red and brown splotches. 

"The cat has returned with a promise of knowledge. The other has joined under a promise of protection." the she-cat whispered. Hazelpetal's ears twitched. The bushes nearby rustled and the figure started to fade. "Soft Willow promises that they will not succeed," she says coldly and disappears. Hazelpetal looks around and sighs. She hadn't realized that Chillystar was done talking until Crowstar nudged her. She stepped forward and cleared her throat. She explained to the clans about the new warrior and Medicine cat, apprentices, and kits. The clans cheered their names. After the uproar died down, the clans began to leave. Soon, TabbyClan was back in their territory. Crowstar paused and scented the air.

"I smell something." he hisses. The Clan cats hunch down and listen. Crowstar treads around the camp and snarls. Thistletail stumbles out of the camp entrance. His pelt was soaked in blood. 

"A rouge invaded the camp." he starts, his paws trembling. "They killed Roseberry and took our kits. Our precious kits..." he shuddered and clawed at the ground. Hazelpetal's eyes widen.

"Come along now, I'll get you something for the shock." Poppyseed murmurs and guides Thistletail back into the camp reluctantly.  The rest of the clan followed, anxiety flooded every cat's mind. The cats that stayed behind were just only waking up and realizing what had happened

"How come no one was awake while all of this happened?" Crowstar demanded. Whitesoul lets out a hiss from her den and rushes out. 

"Valerian!" Whitesoul spat. Cats all around the clan turn to look at the blind Medicine cat. "I haven't seen this herb in moons. I found it in my prey just before I fell asleep. It knocks out a cat cold, and it seems that the savage that invaded infected our prey with it." Whitesoul glares at the sky. 

"Discard any prey in the camp. We must clean the pile." Crowstar orders. 

"We need to find Primrosekit and Buzzardkit." Hazelpetal insists. The clan murmurs in agreement. 

"No. We will properly bury Roseberry, clean up the camp, follow the rouge's scent and kill it." Thistletail speaks up, his voice was raspy with grief. Crowstar turns to the tom. He was surprised that he spoke against his authority. "Please." he pleaded. Crowstar dipped his head. 

"I suppose so. Poppyseed, gather the burial herbs." Crowstair turns to the medicine cat, then to the clan. "We will hunt down this rouge at dawn!"