Chapter 8 - Look After You

Look After You - The Fray

TW for:
-Mentions of suicide
-Self-Harm
--------------------------------------

As Sal had predicted, Larry did make him stay the night. After talking for a while, Sal admitted he really didn't feel up to the heavy, emotional stuff anymore. Larry was ok with this, and they played video games for the majority of the night.

When it came time to sleep, Sal played with the bandages adorning his wrists. "I-I can sleep on the couch or something..." he said. Larry shook his head, "absolutely not. I'm pretty sure you're not gonna do anything else, but I... I honestly just want you at arm's-reach. It scared me, Sal. It's not that I don't trust you, but..." he trailed off.

Sal shook his head, looking down. "I totally get it..." he said, rubbing his eyes as he sat on the edge of the bed. He scooted over so that he could sleep against the wall, lying back with a yawn. He shimmied under the blankets, pulling them over himself, looking at Larry as he kicked his shoes off and did the same, not even bothering with his jeans he was so tired.

He turned to face Sal, sighing softly. "Promise me, please, that you won't do something like that again..." he pleaded quietly. "I don't know what I'd do if I had lost you..." he averted his eyes, and Sal could see the tears threatening to fall.

Sal looked down, "I won't... it was... really stupid, and... I-I'm not going to." he said. "I-I'm gonna try and lay off the alcohol more, too... I've been doing better, but... you know." he ended, not sure what he was really trying to say. Luckily, it seemed that Larry knew what he meant since he reached and took his hand, squeezing it gently.

"I shouldn't have blown up at you like I did... I really regret it." he said softly. Sal shook his head, "I shouldn't have pushed you... and I really shouldn't have slapped you..." he felt tears of his own prick at his eyes. "I was... REALLY drunk, and I was just scared and my emotions were everywhere..."

Larry hummed, "it's ok... it's all cool now, ok? Don't worry about it anymore..." he scooted closer, holding Sal close. Sal still worried about it though, he felt like he was an awful person because of it. He sniffed, "Larry how can you say it's cool? I-I've never been violent like, ever. Maybe a punch or two against Travis when he was still a dick, but I... I don't know, I-I'm just... it's..." words failed him as he shook his head, trying to scoot away from Larry from the guilt.

Larry didn't say anything, simply pulled back, using a hand to tilt Sal's head to look at him then, without hesitation, leaned and pressed his lips against Sal's gently. Sal blinked, shocked as he stiffened, but then relaxed, closing his eyes and wrapping his arms around Larry. He'd waited for this moment for so, so long. It felt just as wonderful, and as right as he had imagined.

When they finally parted, Larry looked away, embarrassed. "S-Sorry, I just..." he trailed off. Sal's face split into a grin and he hugged him close, "no... I liked it.." he said softly. It was like the kiss had erased all the anxiety that had built up in his chest. He buried his face into Larry's chest, sighing softly. For once in his life, he really felt he could have a good night's rest.

Larry smiled, kissing the top of his head. "Get some rest, ok? You had an awful day..." he murmured. He didn't want to say that he had, too. Barely making it in time to save his best friend really weighed heavy on him. Just a second too late... he would have been gone forever.

He tried to push the thought out of his mind as he closed his eyes. He could already feel Sal's slowed breathing beside him and couldn't help but smile a little. He drifted off as well, hoping Sal felt safe in his arms.

~•••~

The next day, despite Larry's skepticism on Sal going home, Sal insisted. He told him about Travis meeting up with him, and he knew his father had gone to work by now. He reluctantly let him go, and once he got there, he texted Travis that he could come over whenever.