Chapter 14

*Jacob's POV*

Ryder is staring and the two of us, jaw to the floor. Damien has this smug look that's meant to taunt his brother. I am trying to sink into the floor.

"Sorry, bro. You snooze you lose." Damien pulls me closer to him. "In this case, I got to kiss our lovely mate first!"

I hit Damien, but secretly their fighting makes me feel kind of good.

Ryder runs up to us and picks me up, causing me to squeal. He holds me like a baby and gives Damien the death stare. "Fine! Then I'm going to take MY mate out to lunch because it's my turn to be with him!" Ryder doesn't wait for Damien to respond before he walks us out of the room and out the door. 

When we get outside, I break the silence. "I-I'm sorry."

Ryder sighs and looks at me. "Don't be. You did nothing wrong. It's just that Damien knows how to push me and my wolf's buttons."

I smile and snuggle into Ryder's chest. I like both of the boys equally, and I don't want Ryder to think I'm playing favorites.

Ryder continues walking and surprisingly takes us into the woods. "W-where are we g-going?" 

Ryder doesn't respond, carrying me deeper into the forest. The leaves of the trees brush against us, tickling me a little. I can hear animals in the forest, and I have the urge to run around and hunt. We approach a large wall of bushes and Ryder uses a hand to clear away the brush. He reveals a beautiful waterfall, gallons of water tumbling over the rocks to create an intimate lake in the center of the clearing. The entire space is completely isolated from the rest of the world, creating a perfect balance of being outdoors and indoors at the same time.

To the right of the waterfall are a blanket and a picnic basket. The blanket is covered with pillows making it look like a multicolored cloud. I look up at Ryder and he just smiles to himself.

Ryder gently sets me down onto the blanket, never losing that smile. He sits next to me, legs crossed before he speaks. "Welcome to my little Paradise."

My jaw is still on the floor, the beauty of the clearing almost overwhelming. "W-where are we? How d-did you find this pl-lace?" 

"I'm going to be an Alpha, Sweetheart. It's my job to know every inch of the land. This part of my land just so happens to be gorgeous, so I hid it from the prying eyes of normal pack members. Only me, Damien, my father, and my mother know about this place."

I look him in his beautiful brown eyes. "A-and now me?"

His smile grows wider, I didn't even know that was possible. "And now you." He kisses me on the forehead before opening the picnic basket. He seemed to have packed for the Apocolypse because the basket was overflowing with food. Finger sandwiches, apples, oranges, pears, carrots, celery, and strawberries drenched with chocolate. He first removes a bottle of what seems to be pink champagne and two champagne flutes, filling one and the other half. He hands me the half-full glass. 

"I assume you don't have much experience with alcohol, so I hope you don't mind that I was a little cautious with your portion."

I look at the flute and blush. "Th-thank you." He seriously is the best. I didn't even have to tell him I've never had alcohol, he just knew. I bring the pink fluid up to my lips, hesitantly sipping it. It tastes sweet, like strawberries. I kind of like it. 

"You're too cute, you know that?" This man seems to be on a quest to embarrass me, and unfortunately, it's working. He scoops me into his lap, nuzzling his face into my neck. "Everything you do, you're so dainty and curious and I love it."