Chapter 15

Jackson Grant pic

*Ryder POV*

Finally getting to kiss Jacob makes me feel like I'm going to explode with happiness. That move I did with the strawberries was just me wanting to see him blush. When he kissed me of his own volition... Dear Goddess those sparks. I had to stop myself from jumping him.

We spent the rest of the day swimming around the lake, splashing around, and emptying the rest of the picnic basket (although, admittedly that last thing was mostly on me). I truly loved every minute with my baby, and it kinda sucks that I have to go back to sharing him with Damien. 

I, of course, carry Jacob back to the packhouse. Even if the cast is off, I like to have him in my arms. I like knowing he's safe. I especially like it when he falls asleep in my arms like he's doing now. I'm currently carrying him bridal-style and Jacob is cuddled into me, fists clutching at my shirt. He's gonna kill me with his cuteness one day, I swear.

When we get back, Damien comes running out to meet us. He stretches out his arms for Jacob. When I refuse to hand Jacob over, he growls. "You've been with him all day, Ryder. It's my turn to hold him." 

I begrudgingly hand Jacob over. "Fine. Don't wake him up if you don't have to. He's had a long day." Damien runs up to his room, leaving me to head to our office. I mindlink a pack member to get the picnic stuff that I left right outside of the clearing and plop into my chair.

While I wasn't paying much attention when we were watching Ratatouille the other day, it didn't escape my attention to how interested Jacob was. He was completely engrossed with the cartoon rat, and I plan on taking advantage of that. I order Jacob a Remi plushie. I had just hit the "confirm order" button when our beta, Jackson, walks into the room. 

Normally, when Jackson walks into a room, he does so with his arms swinging and whistling some random tune. The fact that he has just entered quietly and politely like a normal person makes me look up immediately. 

He's wearing a tight frown, all of his body language saying something is wrong.

He doesn't even speak, he just slides an already-opened envelope across the desk. The envelope says "For the 'Alpha's'" with bold quotations around the word Alphas. It's pack protocol for the Beta to open our mail before us, in case there's a trap or something. I'd obviously prefer no one is exposed to potentially dangerous mail, it's a common consensus among the pack that it's better to expose the Beta than the Alpha.

I pull out a piece of stationery that has neat, blue handwriting sprawled across it. 

"Hello, Young Alphas.

You have taken something from me. Something that I intend to take back.

Enjoy your sorry excuse of a Luna while you have him.

-The man who's going to steal back your mate."

When I finish the letter, my body is shaking in rage. My wolf is begging to come out and destroy everything and anything around us. 

"What the hell is this, Jackson?"

He takes a deep breath before answering me. "Mark, the wolf you sent to retrieve your picnic stuff, found it in the woods. He immediately brought it to me and then I brought it to you." He leans over and puts his hands on the desk. "I know I haven't met him yet, but believe me when I say that both I and the rest of the pack will fight to the death for our Luna."

"Thank you, but I hope that it never becomes necessary." I drag my hand over my face. As much as I mean that, we both know I have no control over it. I mindlink Damien to join us. It takes a minute, but he eventually enters the room.

I explain the situation, and he has pretty much my exact same reaction. 

"Should we cancel the attack for Sunday night?" Jackson asks. 

"Hell no," Damien's growl shakes the room. "Frankly I am trying to convince Kane not to head to that pack right now and show that Goddess-forsaken Alpha who he's messing with."

Grey growls his agreement, but I ignore him. "What about the Alpha Ceremony on Saturday? Is it still safe to hold such a large gathering?"

Damien and Jackson think for a second. Then, Jackson speaks, "I shouldn't see why not. We can just have all guards on high alert."

I nod. This should work. This can work, can't it? It has to.

"Alright. The schedule will continue as planned. The Ceremony in two days, the war in 3. And, Damien?"

"Yeah?"

"I'm definitely coming with you. I wouldn't be able to live with myself if I didn't join you to protect our mate." I turn to Jackson. "I can trust you with him, right?"

He nods fervently. "I can't watch him, but I can get Helene to do it. You know she won't let him out of her sight." Helene is Jackson's spitfire of a mate. She is no woman to be trifled with, and I honestly trust her with Jacob more than me.

"Sounds good. Let's just pray to the Moon Goddess that this gambit works."

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hey!

Sorry about the short length, I just didn't feel like writing anymore. 

Heads up! There will most likely not be an update on Thursday or Friday. I'm going on a weekend-trip to NAU to tour the school, so I probably won't have a lot of time to write. The weekday-update schedule.

I hope you all have enjoyed this chapter, I'm gonna go do my Physics homework now.

See ya tomorrow!