Chapter 10

"I don't want to leave." Reagan almost confessed to Hunter as they lay in bed. It was time for her to get up and go to the airport. God only knew how much she wanted to stay. She snuggled closer to Hunter who held her just as tight. Why was this so hard for him? He's never grew so attached to anyone before. He never allowed any women to get to his heart like this. He now new why. It was too painful to know that they were leaving. Love was painful. Leaning down he kissed her on the shoulder and she sighed.

"Stay." He thought to himself. He couldn't bring himself to say it. He didn't want to be disappointed if she was to tell him no.

"It's time for me to go Hunter." She said and it pained her to even say it. He squeezed her tighter and she sighed again. "You're not making this easy babe." Not saying anything he pulled himself up and placed himself over her. "Hunter." she said in a warning voice.

"One more time baby."

"We went at each other like rabbits already." He leaned down kissing her and she was lost after that. She allowed him to take her. He made such passionate love to her that she fell even harder for him. She hated it and loved it at the same time. Damn him.
After showering she grabbed her things going straight to the door. She had already dropped off her rental car and was going to take a cab to the airport.

"I'm taking you." Hunter said as he pulled on his shirt.

"You don't have to."

"I want to." He watched as she nervously nipped at her bottom lip. "What?"

"You really don't have to take me." She just didn't want to have to say goodbye to him again.

"I'm taking you. Period." Giving in she said.

"Fine and stormed out the door without waiting for him." He shook his head as he rushed after her.

"I'll take that." He said grabbing her one bag from her. She stopped in her tracks staring at him. She wanted to be mad at him. She needed a reason to be mad at him so that it would be easier to leave but nothing. She couldn't get mad. Even when she stormed out the room he was still a gentlemen. Damn him.
They drove in silence to the airport. She was afraid to talk. She didn't want to break down and cry nor did she want to confess her love for him. It was just sex between you two Ray. She kept repeating in her head. But no matter how many times she repeated it she couldn't convince herself that it was the truth because it wasn't the truth. She was in love with this man. Damn her.
They were still an hour early so she could make the decision to stay with him for that hour or make her way to the plan. Her decision was made for her when she felt arms wrap around her from behind. She immediately melted into his arms.
Hunter knew that she was trying to distance herself from him but he wasn't allowing it. He knew that she didn't want him to see her feelings but it was too late for that because it was written all on her face. The way she was looking was the way he was feeling. He wasn't one to run away from fear. If he did that he wouldn't be the rich man that he was now. You had to fight fear with all your might or live with regret for the rest of your life. So he made the decision back at the hotel to just go for it and ask her to stay. To be with him. To love him like he loves her. He had to at least try.
"Stay." He said and she looked up at him but quickly looked away because that one word made the tears come. Leaning down he boost her up into his arms and she wrapped her arms around his neck nursing her face in the crook of his neck. "Stay." He repeated.

"Hunter..." She looked when she felt them moving. "Where are you going?"

"I'm taking you home."

"I can't." She wiggled out his arms. "You're playing too much Hunter."

"I'm not playing Reagan. Stay with me."

"And do what? Play house?"

"Yes." He said laughing. "And so much more. Stay with me." He leaned down giving her a kiss but she quickly pulled away.

"I can't."

"Why not?"

"I just can't."

"You can make a life here Reagan."

"I can't. It's not that easy."

"Why not?"

"Because I have cancer and I'm dying." She thought to herself. The tears finally begin to fall. She could no longer fight it. She couldn't bring herself to tell him. It wouldn't be fair to him. Why allow him to fall in love with you only to leave him? She thought to herself. It was best this way and in just a few weeks or so he would forget about her. He'd move on to another woman. It wasn't that hard for men to forget about women. She couldn't say the same for women though. At least her. She could and would never forget this man. Ever.

"Don't cry." He said cutting into her thoughts.

"I'm not." She lied quickly wiping at her eyes. She turned away gathering herself. Hunter took that time to present the jewelry box with the pendent in it.

"Well since you can't stay how about u take this to remember me by." She turned facing him and seen the small box in his hand.

"What's that?" She asked.

"It's an empty box." He said sarcastically and she rolled her eyes.

"I can't take that from you."

"You don't even know what it is."

"And I don't want to know." She said stubbornly as she folded her arms across her chest. She turned away.

"Stop being stubborn Reagan. Come here." He grabbed her arm turning her to face him.

"Why did you get me something?"

"Because I wanted to." Taking her hand he placed it plum up and placed the small box in her hand. She nervously nipped her bottom lip just looking at the box. "Open it Ray."
She continued to nervously nipped her bottom lip as she slowly opened the box. Her mouth dropped open at what was inside. She slid her thumb along the pendent. Her eyes grew cloudy with tears. She's never been so emotional not even when she was told she had cancer.

"You got this for me?" He nodded his head as he took the necklace out the box.

"Turn around." Doing as told he put the necklace around her neck. "Now we'll be together wherever we go." He said against her ear and the tears came again.

"Hunter." She wrapped her arms around his neck giving him a tight hug. He picked her back up into his arms and this time she kissed him. "Thank you babe."

"You're welcome beautiful." They held each other until the last call to board the plane and she fought back more tears. "Tell me you'll come back." She bit down hard on her bottom lip. She couldn't promise that. She didn't even know how long she had here on this earth.

"I can't promise that. Please I just can't explain it." Signing he left it alone. He couldn't beg her to stay anywhere she didn't want to be. Damn him for thinking different. "I'll never forget you baby. Never." He watched her as she disappeared through the doors that led to the plane. It took everything in her not to turn around and run back into his arms. To say she cried like a baby once she board the plane was an understatement. She was in love with a man she couldn't have because she was dying. It wasn't fair to him to be with someone who was just going to leave him in the long run. Life just wasn't fair.

Two months later...

"Mrs. Clarkson you are my lifesaver." Reagan smiled at her client she gave her a tight hug. This is what she lived for. Helping people who needed her help. Helping children. She loved children.
She felt she made the best career choice when she became a lawyer. She mainly worked for families that were fighting for custody of their children. She took her job very seriously. She just wanted the children to be happy. She studied her cases very carefully. Most if the time she favored the mother and fought for her to get custody but they'd be others times where the father deserved the kids. She paid more attention to the children and who they wanted to be with. Of course it was better for the children to be with both parents but it didn't always work out like that. She was just happy that the children were happy.
She got ready to pack up and leave for the day when a bout of dizziness came. This was the second time today. Chemotherapy was really taking a toll on her. Her doctor said that Chemo was going great and she was fighting it very well. With eating very healthy and drinking nothing but water was helping. She read on that herself. Eating healthier was a great benefit and restoring the body. Even though she had cancer her body felt stronger. She had an appointment tomorrow. After the dizzy spell ended she left making her way home.

"Good morning Mrs. Clarkson."

"Good morning." Reagan was always nervous every time she came to the doctors for her chemo. She didn't want to hear anymore bad news. So far she was doing good and she wanted to keep it that way. She had told her doctor about her dizzy spells and he suggested running some test before chemo that day. After waiting an hour for results he came back in the room and as always she couldn't read his expressions. The man was serious about his work and that's what she loved about him. He was the best.

"So I got your test back." She began sweating because although he was talking in a normal pace it felt as if he was talking extra slow to her. Please God let the chemo be working. She silently prayed.

"And I don't know if this is good or bad news." he continued.

"The chemo is no longer working?" She asked trying her hardest not to break down in front of him.

"No, no." he quickly said. "Your chemo is going great." She looked at him confused. Then what could it be? She thought. "You're pregnant." She looked at him with a blank stare.

"What?"

I hope you all are enjoying this story so far. Dont forget to vote and comment even share if you like. This story is a series. I will be continuing on after Reagan and Hunter. Please stay tuned and I will be writing the next part after this. We're not done with this story yet. Enjoy.