⇒ chapter five

ON THEIR WAYout, the pair was met with Kawamoto Hanae who had been returning from her morning jog

ON THEIR WAY
out, the pair was met with Kawamoto Hanae who had been returning from her morning jog. Her curly hair was tied up into a bouncy ponytail, baby hairs attached to her forehead thanks to the sweat. The older sister's eyes widened in surprise, looking up at her classmate and then to her sister.

"S-sugawara-kun," she stuttered, panicking as her eyes quickly went down to her outfit, the sweat seeping through her clothes.

"Ohayo, Kawamoto-san," he replied politely, bowing, which she immediately returned.

"What are you doing here?"

Shiori immediately looked down as she felt her sister's eyes on her, feelings of guilt arising into her throat, causing her to swallow thickly. It wasn't her fault anyways, Sugawara came by to pick her up on his own accord. Even so, perhaps she felt guilty for liking it so much.

Sugawara looked between the sisters, feeling the atmosphere tense up at Hanae's question.

"Ah, Shiori-san and I have a practice match so I came by to pick her up," he explained, rubbing his neck sheepishly.

Hearing her younger sister's first name come out of his lips felt like a punch in the gut to Hanae. Hadn't they just met?

The curly-haired girl gulped, straightening her posture.

"But, don't you live in the opposite direction, Sugawara-kun?"

Pink absorbed the boy's cheeks as his eyes opened wide in surprise at the confrontation.

The youngest girl quickly intervened, clearing her throat.

"Hanae-neesan, we have to get going or we're gonna be late. You guys can chat later," Shiori told her sister, taking the end of the sleeve of his black Karasuno jacket between her fingers, pulling him away to quickly depart from the scene.

Once they were further away from her house, she shot him an expression of sympathy.

"Sorry, Hanae-neesan is pretty protective," the ravenette explained, her fingers still pinching his sleeve.

"Ne, ne, Shiori-chan! It's a good thing she feels that way about you," he reassured his kouhai, who only smiled softly in reply.

The girl sweatdropped.

'I'm afraid it's not me she's protective over,' Shiori thought, her eyes diverting from the boy beside her.

Sugawara took this opportunity to observe her for a bit. The way the morning light shined on her, made him feel lucky to even be next to her. She almost didn't seem real. After all, if she was, how come he had never noticed her before? She was impossible to miss.