⇒ chapter ten

"HOW DID YOUget my number?"

"HOW DID YOU
get my number?"

"Aw, Shiori-chan, why don't you sound happy to hear from the love of your life!"

Shiori's eyes narrowed at his playful words and sat down on a bench outside, exhaling and inhling the cold air of the night.

"What do you mean? I'm ecstatic," she replied bluntly, her words drenched in sarcasm.

"I knew it! Iwa-chan, did you hear?"

"She's being sarcastic you dumbass, and leave the poor girl alone," a deep voice commented from the background, a 'thud' following closely after.

"OW! You're so mean Iwa-chan!"

The girl rolled her eyes and sighed before saying,

"If that's it, I'll be going now."

"W-wait! Wait Shiori-chan, please wait. I meant what I said the other day, you know that, right?"

The ravenette bit her lip and nodded, even though she was aware of the fact that he could not see her.

"Yeah, I know and I meant what I said as well. I can't. I can't accept your feelings nor will I, I'm sorry Tooru, it's just not going to happen," Kawamoto responded, gulping nervously at her own words.

She meant what she said. Of course, a part of her would always care for him deeply and would hold him dearly to her heart, thus explaining why she still called him by his first name, but not like that. Never like that.

The phone went silent for so long that she thought that maybe he had left, but the thought instantly disappeared when his voice rang through the top speaker on her cellphone.

"No... I can't accept that, Shiori. I refuse to. Every girl wants me minus you, why is that? Why can't you, the only girl who truly knows me and who I am, fall in love with me like all of the other girls?"

"Because it was never meant to be that way."

"Is there somebody else in your heart, Kawamoto?"

His voice went deep and serious, and it genuinely intimidated her to no end, but it didn't surprise her. That's just how Tooru was. He was all fun and games until he can't have what he wants.

Shiori's heart sped up. Was there somebody in her heart? She hadn't a clue. The only person her brain kept going back to was Sugawara Koushi, but there was no way he was in her heart. They had just met, after all. Even so, she could only think of him. His smile. His eyes. His gentleness.

"Why do you care?"

"Why wouldn't I care? Shouldn't I be able to know my competition?"

"There's no competition, he already won," she shot back, her dark blue eyes widening when she realized what she had just said. There was no way back now, it was too late.