Chapter 4: The Intervention

Warning for: A LOT of language. Like seriously. I don't know what happened, I just wasn't holding back!

moonessola a new chapter is here!!!

Dick is a little perturbed by his little sister's statement but soldiers on.
"I came here to apologize Helena... I'm sorry." He says, looking down at the floor with a blue beanie in his hands.
Helena stares at her eldest brother, anger boiling just beneath the surface.
"That's it? 'I'm sorry'? Stories are empty promises in this situation." She replies, bitter and cold. Unlike Dick had ever seen her before. His nose scrunched up and he scowled at her.
"Look! I don't know what else you want me to do! I said I was sorry-"
"You came home drunk! ON MY BIRTHDAY! EIGHT. MONTHS. AGO!" Helena shouted, her voice louder than she had ever been. The entire family is quiet. She had never seemed more enraged in her entire life. Dick had stopped scowling and just felt ashamed and looked at her with sad eyes.
"...sorry." His voice is quieter than before.
"Are you planning on staying?" Bruce questions, interrupting the tension, from his armchair near the fireplace.
"I," Dick swallows, "I might." All fighting power in his voice was lost. His voice was akin to being strained or on the verge of tears.
"I don't think that's a good idea-"
"No. He can stay if he wants. We're adults, we can handle being around each other without getting into a bat fight." Helena interrupts Violet, her gaze looking down at the string of popcorn. Alfred subtly looks over at Bruce, who gives a nod of approval that he can go ahead and show Dick a room.
"You're really ok with this?" Tim whispers to Bruce after Dick and Alfred leave.
"No," he admits, "but if it's what Helena wants, then that's what will Helena will get." His eldest daughter smirks smugly at that remark and Jason shoves her lightly. She smiles back at him, all perfect and shiny teeth.
"Oh quit that! You're not the favorite one around here. I am obviously father's favorite!" Damien states and Helena mocks a dramatic gasp at the betrayal.
"No yours not! I am!" Violet pipes up cockily, pointing a finger to her chest. The three sibling, only a year difference between them, then proceed to bicker amongst themselves.

*

It's sometime around 10 am when Dick wakes up and decides just to get dressed right now instead of later, yawning as he did. He didn't get much sleep last night, seeing his sister's face of disappointment over and over again in his head. Dick texted Afia last night that he had stayed the night at his family estate, just so she would know to not leave Roxanne by herself during the night. Dick always felt tempted to leave her alone when she was not in a sober state of mind. But... well his conscience made sure he didn't. He kept thinking about what would happen if he-

Er... let's change the subject. Roxanne is in good hands, with her best friend. For now... Dick needed some lunch.

*

As he walked downstairs he went down slower as he reached the bottom. He found his siblings, Barbara, Cass and Steph all sitting in the living room, seeming to wait for him.
"Hello, brother. We need to talk." Helena started, in the same chair that Bruce was in the night before.
"What is this about?" Her eyes sadden.
"I think you know what."
"Is this still about your birthday?" Helena doesn't say anything for a moment and then looks up at him again.
"You don't get it do you? You came home late, drunk and cursed at the family! You... you ruined my birthday completely. A happy, joyous occasion of me becoming a legal adult and you ruined it. You ruined that night for me. For once in our entire lives there was no fighting, no bickering, just pure... uninterrupted bliss." Helena explains, her tone clipped and precise as she gripped the armchair's arms tightly. Stephanie sat beside her and squeezed her arm gently-a warning.
"Is that all?" Helena blinked at him in disbelief and stands up, coming closer to him.
"What are you and what have you done to my brother? What has she done to you?!"
"DON'T SPEAK ABOUT ROXANNE LIKE THAT!" He shouts, louder than he's ever been, making Helena jump, terrified. They stare at one another for a few seconds and her eyes well up with tears.
"Go." She states coldly.
"What?"
"GO! GO! GO! GET OUT OF THIS HOUSE!! YOU ARE NO BROTHER OF MINE!!" She shouts in agony as Stephanie holds her back from stomping fully over to him and she sobs into Cassandra's arms.

Dick hesitates. He wants to tell her something, something to say that he was sorry, that he was a shitty brother and he didn't want this to happen-

But no. Today was about being petty.
"Fine. I'll leave," he smiles mockingly, "I hope you have a Merry Christmas!" He spats in a sneer before stomping off and slamming the front door to Wayne Manor shut.

Barbara sighs. She knows it's probably a bad idea, but she can't help herself. Dick and her may not be together anymore, but it didn't mean she wasn't worried about him. Glancing at Helena, she subtly gets out of her chair and walks out the front door.

*

"Dick!" The man in question takes a deep breath in of the chilly November air as he hears Barbara calls his name.
"What is it, Babs?" He asks, not looking at her.
"Dick," she sighs, "I'm just worried, ok? You've never acted this way before! Is everything ok?" Dick chuckles bitterly and turns slightly towards her.
"No, Babs. Everything is not ok. My first girlfriend broke up with me, my second is spending all my allowance on drinking, my family won't speak to me and my eldest sister is currently crying RIGHT NOW JUST A FEW FEET AWAY! So, no! Everything is not ok!" Barbara scoffs at him in disbelief.
"I was concerned about you, alright? God! You don't have to act like an ass all the time just because things aren't going your way anymore!" Barbara snaps at him.
"Why would you be concerned about me? We broke up Babs."
"I was your crime fighting partner long before I became your girlfriend!" She reminded him.
"Yeah, so?"
"I'm trying to tell you that just because we're broken up doesn't mean I don't still care about you!" She argues, getting more and more frustrated.
"Yeah, whatever. I'm going home. I don't need your help." Dick snaps bitterly, the snow crunching below his feet as he walks forward and turns his back to Barbara.
"Fine! Be that way! I HOPE YOU HAVE A MERRY CHRISTMAS AS WELL, MOTHERFUCKER!"

Author's Notes

Sorry for any typos, I typed this up late last night at 11:20-12 am

I know 'bat fight' isn't an expression and it's actually cat fight, but c'mon! It's the Batfamily, I couldn't resist!

Hope you all enjoyed, I've left it pretty vague as to why Barbara and Dick broke up, so you can make assumptions of your own.

In case you didn't see my announcement, on Tuesdays and Thursdays I'm having online classes from 9:16-2:15 (1 pm on Thursdays) so I won't be able to update as often as I have been (like with Same Old Song, I was practically updating every day til I finished yesterday). I'm shooting for Friday's, but you never know!

We're gonna be on video chat, which I hate because I don't like seeing my face, and my mom is all like
"GeT oVeR iT!"
(...sorry. That was mean. Especially since she's currently dealing with Corona-yes really, we were all tested positive and me + my dad recovered. I love her it's just... she can be harsh sometimes. She's just always been that way).

OH! I have a book now where I review DC fanfics: DC Fanfic Reviews by Bat -check that out if you'd like!

BatgirlGeek❤️