Chapter 7: My Beauty, My Anguish

"Oh... hi. What are you doing here?" Dick asks Helena, looking down. She raises an eyebrow at him.
"Shopping, of course. That's what you do when you go to a mall." He snorts and rolls his eyes at that as she holds up her shopping bags.
"Yeah... what are those, Christmas presents?"
"Yep. All pre-ordered. Including yours... but uh, obviously I may not be able to give it to you." Helena replies, voice trailing off near the end.
"Yeah... listen Helena-"
"Oh you must Helena!" Dick jumped as Roxanne appeared out of nowhere.
"Uh... yeah. I'm Helena. You must be... Roxanne?"
"Yep. That'd be me! Don't mind Dick, he's just wallowing in his own misery." Helena looks taken aback by Roxanne's cheerfulness and chuckles awkwardly. Dick was annoyed. If there was anything his family loved more than crime fighting, it was pissing each other off.
"Ah, yeah. I can see that. What are you both doing here?"
"Oh just window shopping. But Dick's been... well-"
"An ass? Yeah. Don't worry, he's been that a lot lately." Helena quips.
"Ok, I'm leaving! Both of you have fun!" Dick snapped, walking away from the two women.

Helena and Roxanne are left alone and it feels slightly awkward. Helena has no idea what to say to this woman that she's only heard about and never seen.
"Whatcha got there?"
"Oh, it's Christmas presents for my family."
"Oh! That's nice. I wish I had some of my family over for Christmas." Roxanne says with a sad smile.
"Oh, are they not around?"
"No, they're up in Star City. I got a scholarship to come to Gotham U."
"Oh... what are you studying?"
"I'm studying psychology... probably a bad field to chose in a city like this, but I think as long as I don't stay in Gotham I'll be fine." Helena chuckles at that in agreement.
"Yeah! Sorry about your family." Roxanne nods and Helena bites her lip, thinking of something she could regret.
"Hey uh... if you're not busy why don't you come to our Christmas party?" Roxanne blinks, eyes wide in wonder.
"Oh... no! I couldn't possibly-"
"No, I insist! Bring a friend!"
"Oh... well thank you, Helena! I'll... uh, go look for Dick and see if he wants to come."
"Ok, see you there if you decide to come!"

*

Helena returned home and took a deep breath. She found her siblings in the living room: Jason, Tim and Damien were watching TV and Violet was on her phone.
"Guys... I may have bad news. I like Roxanne... and I invited her to our Christmas party." It goes quiet and Violet's eyebrows furrow.
"Fuck you." She says, standing up to go to her room.
"Love you to, Vi!" Helena calls to her.
"Ugh!" Violet spat out in disgust as she passes Selina at the door.
"Whoa! What happened to Violet?"
"I invited Dick's girlfriend to our Christmas party."
"Ah." Selina said in understanding.
"Why did you invite her?" Tim questioned incredulously.
"I... I DON'T KNOW, OK??" Helena replies, gesturing with her hands in a panic.
"Oh calm down, honey. It will be fine." Selina says as she attempts to take a peek at the wrapping paper. Helena smacks her hand.
"Hey! Claws off-that's your Christmas present!" Helena spat and her mother chuckled.
"My apologies." Selina says with a twinkle in her eye.
"I don't see why you would invite her. She doesn't seem that interesting." Damien pipes up and Selina blinks.
"Well I for one would like to meet her!"

Before Damien can retort, Bruce enters.
"Oh, how nice of you to join the family!" Selina pipes up as soon as he enters with a receipt in his hand. He gives her a side glance but says nothing else about it.
"Helena, I just received this," he says holding out the receipt, "how much did you spend on my card?"
"Oh dad, it's nothing bad! It's just the Christmas presents I had pre ordered for the family. Someone has to buy them!" She replies.
"I see. Why couldn't you just spend it on your own card?"
"Because then you'd ask me what I was doing-and then the surprise would be ruined!" Helena points out, before swiftly leaving the room to put the presents near the undecorated tree in the foyer.
"I didnt expect you to be here." Bruce says, turning to Selina.
"I'm your wife, am I not? I have a right to be here. Besides, someone had to watch the kids-"
"Some of us aren't kids-" Damien pipes up.
"Someone had to watch Violet and Damien!" Selina corrects, glaring at her step-son. Bruce is amused and kisses her cheek. She looks surprised and then smiles at him lovingly.

Author's Notes

The Wayne Christmas Party is next, yay!!!

(Ironic since at the time of me writing this everyone is in quarantine because of the Coronavirus and It's Easter!)

Only doing Christmas since November is just before December and.. yeah. March, 8 months later is November, so there.

Sorry, I don't know why I'm saying this. I'm hungry :(

BatgirlGeek❤️