Seven

The Quinjet lands on the countryside

The Quinjet lands on the countryside. I've never been here, and I don't know where we are. I've yet to ask. The whole ride was quiet and no one moved from their spot, except Tony who never seems to sit still. We walk out the Quinjet and on dry dirt path.

"What is this place?" Thor asks as we walk on the porch. I look around the porch and notice how friendly the house looks. It's very homey, something I'd like to have in the near future.

"Safe house." Tony answers.

"Let's hope." Clint says as he opens the door. We all walk in and I can smell food right off the bat. Something so delicious and home-like. There's a couple toys here and there, but everything seems put in place neatly, "Honey? I'm home."

I woman peeks out through a wall. Long brown hair. Thin, but pregnant, she's beautiful. She looks at all of us in surprise as if she didn't expect all of us to show up at her house unexpectedly, I would be too.

"Company. Sorry, didn't call ahead." With that, she kisses Clint and hugs him warmly.

"This is an agent of some kind." Tony says not believing that this is Clint's house, it's literally obvious.

"Gentlemen, Kate, this is Laura." She waves at us with a smile plastered in her face. She seems excited.

"I know all your names." She says awkwardly. I smile and wave at her. Footsteps occur from a distance and my head snaps to the direction.

"Oh, incoming." Clint says. A little boy and girl come running in and Clint bends over to their level.

"Daddy!" The little girl shouts as she crashes into Clint's arms.

"Hi, sweetheart." He says as he carries the little girl up, "Hey, buddy." Clint hugs them both tightly. My heart aches as my mind circles back to the memories of my dad and I. My smile becomes a frown. This day has to be one of my worst so far, "How are you guys doing?"

"These are.. smaller agents." I hear Tony comment as he's awkwardly looking at Clint with his kids. I walk to the Laura.

"Is there.. a bathroom I could use?" I ask abiding eye contact in fear that she'd notice my eyes watering.

"Yeah, down that hall to your left." Her voice sounds concerning as she's trying to get a peak at me. I only nod at her and make my way to the bathroom. I walk in and close the door and lock it.

Immediately, I burst into tears. I silently cry as I sit on the toilet. I could hear the little kids talking and laughing, and I can't help but remember the times I felt so happy with my parents.

I hear a knocking on the door stopping my silent cries. I shout, "Just a second!"

I sniff one more time and look at myself in the mirror. Well, my mascara is completely smudged all over my face. I quickly wash my face and pat it down with a small towel. I look at the mirror again and notice how puffy my face is. Somebody knocks on the door again.