chapter 2; change

3rd Person

'Strange.'

That was the only thing the girl could think off upon receiving such a letter. The ravenette raised the dusty paper only to drop it as soon as she had smelled it. Automatically plugging her nose with non-dominant hand, she clicked her tongue and narrowed her sapphire hues; glaring at envelope in disgust.

"It reeks--!"

After a moment of complete silence, the girl's curiosity rose and she decided to figure out what that stench actually was. Hesitantly, she picked up the letter with only her middle and index finger. The raven-haired girl brought it up to her nose and smelled it for the second time. Her eyes widened for a millisecond, only for them to return to normal afterwards.

"...Vampires."

Pressing her lips into a thin line, she closed the mailbox and headed back inside the house. Shutting the door behind her, Karasu leaned against it. Delicately, she removed the wax seal from the thin envelope only to see another crisp white paper inside. She slid the paper away from the envelope and skimmed through everything, only picking out the key words that stood out to her.

'I'd like you to protect a certain girl named—'

"—Yui Komori."

Not long after the ravenette uttered those words, a sharp pain traveled through her entire body. Her heart was racing and she had no clue why. She had clenched her right hand, forming a fist in an attempt to calm herself down.

-•-•-•-

Her head hung low as her body tried to recover from the aftermath of that strange incident. Panting, she looked at her dominant hand only to see a completely white fist from clenching so hard. Using her left hand, she raised it to her forehead, hoping it would stop the small headache that had started to pound her skull into pieces. Beads of sweat started to form on her exhausted figure.

Forcing herself to finish the contents in the letter, she picked up it up once again.

'Come to the mansion located at—'

...

"Mansion?"

'Could it be the one in those annoying reoccurring dreams that I keep having? This couldn't be any more convenient.'

A wide smirk was etched onto her face as if she had been anticipating this all along.

-•-•-•-

The ravenette sighed upon leaving her house with a suitcase full of her belongings. She turned around to glance at her old home once again before entering the taxi that had just arrived. Karasu certainly felt something when she was preparing to leave now "old home". After all..

..it was the only home she had left after being banished from the underworld.

-•-•-•-

Minutes turned to hours as she looked at the drastic scenery change happening before her. Once a welcoming suburban area and now turned into a dark enigma of the unknown. Well, maybe it was just because of the abundance of trees blocking the sunlight, but it was still unsettling nonetheless. Her sapphire eyes then spotted something in the distance.

'That mansion...! It's the same exact one from my dreams...'

Karasu narrowed eye hers as she muttered under her breath.

"Things are about to get interesting."

The taxi gradually begins to slow down and stop in front of the gates. The raven-haired girl gracefully opens the door while thanking the driver. He nodded and then proceeded to open the trunk. Karasu got up while closing the doors behind her. After obtaining her luggage, she bowed her head slightly at the driver out of gratitude, and turned around hastily.

Walking towards the mansion she gaped at how big it was. In a daze she accidentally felt something, well, someone against her own body.

'Ah. I bumped into someone.'

It was another girl with blonde locks and bright pink hues. She was slightly shorter than the ravenette by a couple of centimeters, so her face was against Karasu's exposed collarbone instead. Realizing her mistake, she quickly bowed her head at the shocked demon while spewing apologies left and right.

"I'm so sorry! I should have looked around me beforehand! I'm so—"

The blonde was cut off by a gentle pat on her shoulders.

"It's okay, really. I should be the one apologizing, not you." Her words were nothing out of the ordinary, but it was her voice that sent shivers down the blonde's spine.

It was sharp and clear like ice, and yet it seemed to have comforted her in an unexplainable way.

"So, what are you doing here?" Karasu's words seemed to have brought the girl back into reality.

"O-oh um, well I was supposed to live here for the time being. My name is Yui Komori, nice to meet you!"

The raven-haired girl could only hold her head in pain as another rattling headache started to form. Yui was about to have a panic attack at the sight. Sensing her distress, Karasu raised her head and gave her a small smile despite the pain she was in.

"...I'm..fine." Ignoring her headache, she went on with the introduction.

"My name is Karasu Aoiro. Pleased to make an acquaintance with you, Yui Komori."

-•-•-•-

Once that was over, the two decided to head inside. Yui knocked the door once, twice, and no response. Oddly enough however, the door then opened by itself when she tried to go in with the third knock. This of course spooked her, but the ravenette's face remained as stoic as ever. They both walk in only to see someone laying on the couch. Out of curiosity, Yui walks up to him. Karasu trails behind her companion as blue hues meet red locks.

Again, the male looked about her age. He had somewhat spikey hair which was in the color red. The girl then observed his attire. His red tie was carelessly knotted together in an unkempt manner, while the "legs" on his pants were rolled up to his knees. Well at least one of them was.

"Um excuse me sir.." said Yui while touching the redhead's hand.

She then flinched at the icy cold skin that had made contact with her finger tips.

"You're so cold..!"

"Hey.! Are you okay?.!" exclaimed Yui while place her head against the guy's chest, only to become even more panicked afterwards.

"He has no pulse Karasu-san..! I have to call an ambulance!"

The ravenette was about to tell her to calm down until she was interrupted by a foreign voice coming from none other than the "corpse" itself.

"Damn, you're noisy."

"Y-you're alive!"

"Why wouldn't I be?"

"But..your heart had stopped..."

In an instant the blonde was pinned against the coach that was once occupied by the redhead.

"W-what?!" shouted Yui.

"I'm about to take you." said the redhead while licking Yui's neck.

He smirked in a mocking manner.

"I'd appreciate it if you take your filthy hands off her, you vermin."

-•-•-•-

Edited 7/8/17—1:20am

-yepheral;