Nihilism

Today wasn't great. Tzuyu had a nine-hour day starting at 8am. She had her English and Korean lectures back to back that were on opposite sides of the campus. She had an assignment that she hadn't had time to start yet. She had no money for lunch. And worst of all, was the Philosophy lecture she had at 12.

Philosophy was her least favourite subject for many reasons. For one, it was just a filler subject because she couldn't think of anything else to pick to fit her number of units. Next there was Minatozaki Sana who always seemed to have it out for her for no reason other than to make her life miserable. And last and definitely the worst of all, her professor Im Nayeon; the most boring human to ever exist ever.

Tzuyu had only just sat down, five minutes before the lecture was meant to begin and Sana was already making things hell.

"Chou!" She yelled from across the room, causing all eyes to trail back to her seat at the back left of the lecture theatre. "Study up enough Korean to understand today's lesson?" Tzuyu ignored the sniggers echoing around the room and pulled out her book and a pen, writing the date at the top of the page. Sana was foreign too. She had no right to pick on Tzuyu's Korean skills. But instead of talking back, she gritted her teeth and told herself that she would study harder and practice her pronunciation.

"Okay! Okay." Professor Im's classically boring drone of a voice caused a blanket of silence to eventually fall across the room. And with one last smirk from Sana, thus began the worst part of Tzuyu's day.

Not even fifteen minutes in and Tzuyu had already dozed off twice. How was it possible for someone to make a subject so unbearable to listen to? Professor Im certainly was an expert in the field of making Tzuyu's brain simultaneously feel numb and in excruciating pain. And she wasn't the only one feeling the symptoms of crippling boredom.

Multitudes of students were watching movies on their laptops, sleeping behind books or staring into space. The whole lecture hall looked like a bunch of two-year-old's that were half asleep and had the attention span of five seconds.

"Nihilism is a word that was first used by a German man by the name of Friedrich Nietzsche," Tzuyu thought that Professor Im would probably make more money by selling tapes of her lectures as remedies for those who struggled to sleep. It's like her words were laced with some sort of strong drug. The epitome of boring. "He used it as a description for the western society at the time - which was in the 1700s - and their degenerating respect and adherence to traditional morality."

Who cares? Thought Tzuyu, catching the yawn from the person beside her.

"It basically is a belief that life is meaningless." Professor Im said in monotone.

"Who cares." Tzuyu thought, unknowing that the words actually slipped through her lips rather loudly with a huge sigh of air.

Professor Im paused. Then the theatre was slowly filled with the sound of 200 seats creaking as those that sat in them turned once again toward Tzuyu, their eyes curious, wide awake, shocked.

"Pardon me?" The professor's eyes narrowed, glued to the student who was rude enough to interrupt. And that student just happened to be Tzuyu.

She felt her cheeks heat to a million degrees, her eyes tear up, her clothes suddenly become too warm and her mouth run dry. Professor Im was looking directly at her, her eyes dark and intense from all the way down at the lectern. It was a matter of seconds before Tzuyu burst into embarrassed tears and made everything a thousand times worse for herself and her already tarnished reputation (thanks to Sana).

So, Tzuyu did something stupid. Something unthinkable. Something that would change everything about Philosophy lectures from then on.

"I said," Tzuyu spoke loudly and clearly, setting her face into a hard stare, watching Professor Im's expression waver. "That this class sure is meaningless."