Priorities

Sana was angrier than she had ever been in her entire life. It felt like a volcano was threatening to erupt inside her stomach. It was almost a feeling of nausea. She clenched her jaw and tapped her fingers against her thigh as Jihyo blew the whistle.

She was grateful for the crisp air of the afternoon. The cold wind curled underneath her singlet and distracted her slightly from the overwhelming feelings.

The Lions were practicing half court against each other. The finals were in three weeks and Sana didn't want to be made a fool of anymore. She had scheduled a ridiculous practice timetable, and she was determined to stick to it. Practice half court every afternoon for two hours until their technique was perfect. She wouldn't be called a hopeless captain ever again. The Lions would never be called useless ever again. She wouldn't lose to the Kawaii Girls ever again.

With the blow of Jihyo's whistle, Sana became serious about netball for the first time since she had been with Momo.

Nobody was prepared.

Sana stood at the edge of the semicircle, watching as Seulgi, Yeri, Wendy, Sooyoung and Dahyun battled it out for the ball. She watched them block, snatch, step, pivot and every movement made her feel more and more determined.

Wendy stumbled with the ball as she snatched it from Yeri's hands. Stepping. Jihyo was about to blow the whistle to call it when Sana interjected.

"WHAT THE HELL WAS THAT, WENDY?" She abandoned the semicircle and the first quarter all together, approaching her Wing Defence with vigour. "We DON'T have time to be clumsy. We DON'T have time for stepping or contact or obstruction. None of that."

The rest of the team looked at Sana in shock. Wendy looked humiliated, her head hanging low as she handed the ball back to Seulgi for a rematch.

"Do you guys get it?" Sana looked at them all as they returned to their positions. Jihyo was silent on the edge of the court, unsure if she should interject. "Do you guys see what's at stake for this game? Our reputations. We have EVERYTHING on the line with this final. We've acted like idiots for long enough. This game is our redemption. We CANNOT stuff this up."

Irene approached gently from behind, placing a comforting hand on Sana's shoulder. She half expected Sana to shake her off, but she managed to remain there. She rubbed her thumb back and forth against the exposed skin, attempting to comfort her.

They returned to the game. Again, and again and again they played the half court. They played shooting exercises. Passing exercises. Running drills. They did it all and everyone was exhausted.

"Okay everyone back into position. We're playing half-court again." Sana called the Lions back from their shuttle run.

Sana wasn't expecting what came next.

"No." Yeri panted, pulling her Wing Attack bib off and over her head. "We've been here for two hours Sana. We're exhausted."

"We're not perfect yet." Sana dismissed. "We're not leaving until we get a perfect half-court game from all of you."

"You know, maybe I wouldn't protest going a little longer if we had subs. But we don't Sana. You scared them all away."

Sana paused; her anger fuelled determination stunted for a moment.

"Scared them away?"

"Remember Lia? Sorn? Mia? Yiren? Do you remember when they left Sana?" Yeri continued, rolling up the sleeves of her shirt. Her expression was solemn. Frustration and annoyance oozed from her presence.