Across the room

One thing was for sure: the day Tzuyu had called Professor Im's lectures boring had gone down in history and it didn't stop there.

Tzuyu was already infamous due to Sana's constant pestering, but after that fateful day (because it surely was a fateful day) the lecture hall had its eyes glued to her every time she made her way to the back of the room. Everyone was suddenly alert, watching Tzuyu's every move. It was almost like philosophy lectures had become one of the best parts of the day... simply because Tzuyu didn't stop.

She spent every philosophy class taking out her pent-up frustration at Sana on her professor. Sitting at the back of the room, watching Im's every move, relishing in the way her face would drop every time Tzuyu called her out.

"Where's your expression? Try that line again from the top!"

"I don't know if I've said this before, Professor, but your classes are boring."

"Try telling someone who cares!"

"Where are my fucks? Oh wait, I have none to give."

Some of the things Tzuyu said to Professor Im were funny, others were ridiculous, some were downright rude. But it didn't matter to Tzuyu what the others thought. Their laughs, shouts, and protests just egged her on. Even Sana had been pushed from her mind. Tzuyu had taken over her role and it was exhilarating.

For once it wasn't her feeling small and stupid. For once it wasn't her who was always on the verge of tears. For once she was the one laughing.

Professor Im had her stay back after class every other day and it wasn't long before it became the best part of Tzuyu's day. She would wait smugly in her seat as the rest of the room cleared out, thinking to herself how much things had changed since that day a few weeks ago. Then she would walk down the isle of stairs to where her professor was waiting at the lectern, her face contorted in a mix of disappointment, amusement and hurt.

Today was not different. After a lecture full of ruthless comments on Professor Im's glasses that she had recently started to wear in class, she had been asked to stay back. Tzuyu's smugness didn't last long, however.

As the hall cleared out and she packed her things in her backpack, the air in the room seemed to have a different quality to it. A sort of silence that was thicker and heavier than usual. She trudged down to the front of the room where Professor Im was waiting for her.

"Do you get a thrill out of this?" He voice was quiet and high pitched. A tone that Tzuyu had never heard from her before. She continued to clear up her books and laptop, waiting nonchalantly for Tzuyu's reply.

She had never asked something like that before. It had always just been a lecture on respect. Something to yell at her. This was very different. And Tzuyu had no idea how to answer.

"Is it because I let Sana have her way with you for so long?" She looked up, sliding her thick rimmed glasses up her nose. Her eyes were big and apologetic. "I'm really sorry, Tzuyu." She whispered which caused a jolt to Tzuyu's stomach. "I'm sorry for letting it happen right in front of me without saying anything. It was wrong of me. I understand that." She zipped up her shoulder bag and sighed, looking down at her own feet in shame. "I just wish you wouldn't take it out on me like this... I mean... I understand why you're doing it... I understand how you felt now. But please... just... can you let up a little?"

Tzuyu didn't know what to say. Professor Im looked so embarrassed and guilty. Her hands clutched at the strap of her bag like it was a lifeline. Her eyes were watery and shaky. When she looked even closer, she could see that they were slightly bloodshot... Had Tzuyu made her feel so horrible that she couldn't sleep?