Catching Feelings | Jeongchaeng

Jeongyeon wouldn't call herself the type to fall easily. After all, she set her standards rather high. For one: she must fall for a girl (she had never been a big fan of the male species), for two: they must be taller or the same height as her (she liked the thought of being able to look up to someone), three: they have to be able to speak Korean (for some reason she had this irrational fear of falling for someone foreign and never being able to communicate with them), and most importantly, four: they have to be able to either make or take jokes. Humour (no matter how lame) was an important part of Jeongyeon's life. So, finding a girl with a good sense (or maybe a bad sense, she wasn't quite sure what would work better) of humour would be a perfect match.

Jeongyeon was always quite vocal to her friends about her criteria, finding it funny to say things like:

"See here, Sana, you're terrible at Korean, so I just can't date you."

Of course, Sana was very good at Korean and she was also Momo's fuck buddy, so it wasn't that funny.

Or: "Dahyun you're just too short! There's no way I would date you."

Of course, Jihyo would then run after Jeongyeon with her fists in the air yelling at her. "She's cute not short!"

So, meeting Chaeyoung kinda metaphorically kicked Jeongyeon in the face, left her sprawled on the ground and shut her up.

Chaeyoung was perfect in all aspects of her criteria. She was a girl (a really cute one at that), she could speak Korean (a great relief) and she was HILARIOUS. Jeongyeon erased criteria two from her mind, pretending it never existed. Short was now her type.

She had met her in her photography course after they had been asked to go around the room and take a practice photo for editing and getting a feel of the technology and apps they would be using later on in the year. Jeongyeon hadn't even noticed Chaeyoung at all as she was trying to get a photograph of her pencil standing up on the table. It just wasn't balancing, and she was getting frustrated because this was dumb, and she was probably wasting time.

She was interrupted with a click and a flash from her left side and she blinked, letting her pencil go and turning to come face to face with a tiny girl holding a huge camera up to her face.

She lowered it slowly, revealing her embarrassed grin. Two adorable dimples appeared on her cheeks and Jeongyeon's heart almost melted away.

"Ah." The girl spoke, her voice small and hesitant. "Sorry, it's just... we were asked to take a photo of something beautiful... right?"

Jeongyeon's mouth dropped open. It felt as though she had been hit in the face with a sledgehammer. Was that a... pick up line?

"No, we weren't" Jeongyeon blurted. Which made her cringe inside and out for ruining the girl's move. But instead of getting offended, she just laughed, releasing her camera gently so it dangled on the strap around her neck.

"I know. But I was smooth, no?" She held out her hand. "My name is Son Chaeyoung. Nice to meet you!"

Definitely smooth...

"Yoo Jeongyeon." Was all she was able to say without her voice breaking.

The thing was, Jeongyeon had always imagined herself making the first move to pursue someone. Of course, Son Chaeyoung was only saying those things to be funny, but the fact that she said those things to her. To Jeongyeon. Before Jeongyeon could say something instead... It made her feel some type of way...

And that was that, Jeongyeon was in love, and she hated herself for it because there was no way in hell that Chaeyoung liked her back. Not then, despite the cheesy pickup line, and not now.