I Wish

"Hello, darling" hearing the tempting words that I did not want to hear.

Innocence. Love. Happiness. Pain. Those are the four words that can describe my relationship with Irene. When I was with her I felt free, unrestricted, like a feather in the sky. Floating. Flying. Everything so effortless. Nothing ever boring, plain or repetitive. I recall the sweet August evening as I was walking down the streets of Seoul. Walking past the storefronts and cafes, I took the metro to Han River Park; a place of solace for the hustle and bustle of city life.

Beyond the horizon, the sun illuminated the shimmering haze of pollution. From the bench I was sitting on I could see the silhouette of the skyline piercing through the warming glow of the sunset like a jagged mountain ridge. I fervently watched the sunset in the distance, its rich hues of red blended with the orange crimson sky until it faded into the dark serenade of the evening night.

"Mind if I sit here" a soft voice asked me as I was looking into serene water of the Han River. I scooted over to make room for her and signaling approval for her to sit down.

"Please, by all means" she sat down and then sighed as she also looked into the water. She tied her loose hair into a ponytail and closed her eyes as the wind tousled her brown locks.

"Isn't the night sky beautiful?" she said as she opened her eyes, turned and looked at me. She gazed into my soul; her beautiful eyes of liquid amber looked straight towards me. She was a mystery. A shockingly beautiful mystery, and in the trap that she had set, I was ensnared.

"Y/n~ are you there?" Irene said as she broke you out of your trans-state that occurred from the flashback. A wide Cheshire grin spread over Irene's face and that usually meant that something bad was going to happen or something very good depending on the person's perspective. She then sat down in front of you crossing her legs as she reached over to the table to pour herself a glass of wine. Through the tint of the glass was a doubtless green, and the wine that was poured was the deepest of red. She brought the glass to her lips and drank from the cup, you could see the liquid go down her throat as she tilted the glass higher finishing it to the last drop.

"What do you want Irene?" you asked her as you took a deep, ragged breath before placing your, enclosed hands together to cover your face. Irene walked over to you and sat down to the empty space next to you inching ever closer.

"You know I missed you, Y/n" Irene said as she leans her head against your shoulder and her arms begin to encircle your side. If things were different you would've have accepted her advances, but now things are not what it used to be, she betrayed your trust. How quickly your love turned to hate as if you didn't even want to fight it.

They say a phone is able to hold a thousand memories, but they never said that it could be painful ones. You remember reaching for your phone trying to call Irene as you were driving back to your house after a long day of work just wanting to return home to your beautiful fiance. You remember the time when you proposed to Irene after 3 long years of dating. You were in Barbados when you wanted to ask her the question every man wanted to ask "Will You Marry Me?" Irene cried tears of joy as you twirled her around kissing each other on the lips never wanting the moment to end. You arrived back to your house pulling up to the driveway when you noticed that there was another car not belonging to either of you. Thinking that it was just one of her girl-friends that she brought over as she usually does during holiday weekends.

Entering the house you were greeted with unusual silence, an eerie silence that was not normal. You loosen your tie and tossed your suit jacket onto the couch as you made your way up the stairs towards the master bedroom where Irene usually was. Wanting to lay down on your bed, you made a beeline towards the bedroom door. However, just as you were about to turn the door handle you heard loud giggles coming from Irene.