Chapter One

Silence filled the exhibition, it was too early for anyone to be there, the museum wasn't even supposed to open for another hour or so.

The blonde walked through the dark passages the dimly lit mannequins leaping towards her in the gloom.

Reaching the nearest wall the light switch was quickly flipped, the ghostly silhouettes of the exhibition brightly lit once again, before a few more switches were flipped afterward, the rest of the exhibition coming to life in front of her eyes.

"A symbol to the nation. A hero to the world. The story of Captain America is one of honor, bravery, and sacrifice."

"Yeah, we know." Quinn Greene muttered with a smile, after all, she heard the same words announced several times a day from the speaker closest to the exhibition's entrance.

Quinn walked through the exhibition checking that nothing had become out of place throughout the night, before heading towards the PA system hidden behind the Howling Commandos display.

"Welcome to the Smithsonian. My name is Quinn Greene. Welcome to the story of Captain America exhibition, only open for a limited time. I hope you can feel the righteousness, patriotism, and justice surging. You know, I might even dye my hair red, white and blue." Quinn joked into the PA system, her voice echoing throughout the exhibition, hardly able to finish her sentence, due to the fact she couldn't hold back her laughter anymore.

"What on earth are you doing, Quinnie?" A voice called out from the entrance.

Quinn leaned back from the PA system, the person framed by the entrance staring back at her coming into view. A smile shot involuntarily across Quinn's face.

"You know if the boss catches you messing around again, he's going to boot you to another exhibition and I know how much you love working here for Captain America."

"You know Spence, he can't kick me to another one if he doesn't catch me and I know you won't tell."

"Where did this reckless, rebellious Quinn Green come from, huh?" Spencer Woods sarcastically asked. "I've never seen you like this before."

"I'd probably just attribute it to the complete lack of sleep last night."

"How many hours?" Spencer asked wearily. "Actually I'm not even sure that I want to know."

"Three? Maybe four?" Quinn replied quickly but upon seeing Spencer's look she rushed to correct her answer. "But you know that just the answer I'm used to replying with, it was probably 5 or 6. I went to bed at 2 am, I mean 10 pm. You know how it is Spence, I lose track of time."

Spencer only raised an eyebrow at Quinn's seemingly endless rant. "You know it's a small miracle you even passed high school with a sleep schedule like yours."

"Well I did, didn't I? Besides it's not exactly my fault, they give you too much homework plus such an early school start, how on earth am I supposed to get it all done?" Quinn replied with a shrug.

"Quinn," Spencer said with a pointed look.

"What?"

"Don't try and tell me that you were doing homework until 2 am throughout high school unless it was history homework."

"Yeah, alright fine." Quinn surrendered. "You got me there."

"Denied enlistment due to poor health, Steven Rogers was chosen for a program unique in the annals of American warfare. One that would transform him into the world's first super soldier." The narration of the exhibition suddenly kicked into gear prompting both Quinn and Spencer to look over towards the height difference charts only the furthest wall from the duo.

"I still can't quite the world we live in now. Enhanced beings, gods, aliens, numerous threats hanging above our heads at any moment. God, what happened in New York, we can only hope nothing like that ever happens here in Washington."

"You sound like one of those new reporters after the attack on New York." Quinn joked before imitating said news reporters. "We are unable to even understand the unknown threats our civilization is against now. Our very existence is threatened and what's stopping it from happening again?"

"The Avengers!" Spencer joyously announced, leaping into a 'superhero' position, before the two of them cracked up laughing, Spencer falling out of his position with a loud thud that only caused them to double their laughter.

"Hey, nerd," Spencer called eventually while Quinn was doubled over, trying her best to catch her breath. "When on earth did you and I get so lucky? We have the best jobs in the world, I'm lucky enough to have you as a best friend and our lives aren't currently threatened by some strange alien species. I'd say we are pretty lucky."

"Agreed. But about those jobs, don't you think we should go get to them?" Quinn asked as the alarm on her phone signaling that it was 8:25 am, five minutes before the museum opened, giving them just enough time to get into position before the rest of the days would be flooded with endless streams of people.

"Yeah probably." Spencer agreed with a grin.

"Well in that case," Quinn replied, linking her arm with Spencer's. "We better go learn some more history shit."