Chapter Twelve

The tranquility of the Avengers recovering from the effects of the female Maximoff's mind-warping at Clint's farm was soon interrupted once everyone was aware of Nick Fury's sudden arrival at the farmhouse.  

Quinn was left to stand slightly in the corner awkwardly as she seemed to be doing too often nowadays. She wasn't an Avenger by any means yet everyone seemed set on including her in as much 'Avengering business' as possible. So she settled from leaning against the kitchen wall next to Steve, her eyes briefly scanning the newcomer sleeping in the living room before flicking back to the kitchen. 

It appeared that a lot of things had happened in Steve and Quinn's brief departure from the farmhouse. 

Although the two of them had been joking about the sexual tension between Aquila and Natasha it seems that the two of them had taken it upon themselves to cause something to happen between them. Their usual dynamic was completely out of wack, in it's place were hidden glances and blushes. 

On the other hand, something had also happened with Keira as her red, puffy eyes and the fact that Tony refused to let go of her explained that something terrible had happened; Keira's mother had suddenly died, also explaining the stranger on the couch, Bea Ross as Tony had eventually informed her, Keira's younger sister. 

"Ultron took you folks out of play to buy himself time. My contacts all say he's building something. The amount of Vibranium he made off with, I don't think it's a just one thing." Fury began, his eye scanning everyone gathered in the kitchen. 

"What about Ultron himself?" Steve asked.

"Ah," Fury said. "He's easy to track, he's everywhere. Guy's multiplying faster than a Catholic rabbit. Still doesn't help us get an angle on any of his plans though."

"Is he still going after the launch codes?" Stark replied. 

Quinn only looked around the room slightly in confusion, as usual, she had no clue what was going on. 

"Yes, he is but he's not making any headway."

"I cracked the Pentagon's firewall in high school on a dare." Tony boasted.

"Well, I contacted our friends at the Nexus about that," Fury replied.

"Nexus?" Steve asked as Quinn smiled at Steve's complete oblivion with anything slightly more technical than working an iPhone. 

"What?" Aquila also asked, equally as confused.

"It's the World Internet Hub in Oslo," Bruce soon clarified for the sake of Steve and Aquila. "Every byte of data flows through there, fastest access on earth."

"Oh, okay," Aquila replied, pretending to understand even though the look on her face said something completely different.

"So, what'd they say?"

"He's fixated on the missiles, but the codes are constantly being changed."

"By whom?"

"Parties unknown."

"Do we have an ally?" Natasha asked suddenly.

"Ultron's got an enemy, that's not the same thing." Fury replied.

"Still, I'd pay folding money to know who it is," Aquila finally spoke up.

"I might need to visit Oslo," Tony said. "Find our unknown."

"Well, this is good times, boss, but I was kind of hoping when I saw you, you'd have something more than that," Nat said, her face falling slightly.