Chapter 18: Protector

Todoroki looked all around for Y/N. He had been preoccupied capturing some villains, and she had disappeared. Where could she have gone? 

"Bakugo!" Todoroki yelled. Katsuki was busy taunting the warp villain and blasting him in the back. 

"WHAT DO YOU WANT ICY HOT!?" he screamed back. 

"Did you see where Y/N went?" Shoto asked, worried. 

"She went off somewhere with that Uraraka girl,"Bakugo called, "Back behind those buildings." He pointed to the stretch of buildings falling apart behind them. 

Todoroki looked around, but noticed Uraraka fighting with Tsuu pretty far off. No way she could've taken Y/N somewhere, and gotten involved in another fight that fast. Something was wrong, he could feel it. 

He started running for the buildings Bakugo had mentioned, and was a few yards away, when Y/N came bolting out of a small alleyway. She was panicked and breathing hard, but someone was behind her. Without even thinking, Todoroki sent a wall of flames between them. 

Shigaraki screamed and fell to the ground, holding his blistering hand. Toga kneeled down next to him. "You little bastard! You're just like your father! Makes me so sick to see hero spawn like you! You'll pay for this!" 

Shigaraki signaled to a Nomu nearby. "Get him!" he screamed. The creature turned it's great big head toward Shoto and stared with lifeless eyes. 

Todoroki shot another flame attack at the monster, and was prepared to see it fall, singed at his feet. Instead, the creature moaned and withstood the attack, and with a large breath, sent a flame attack back at Shoto... only bigger. 

Shoto had just enough time to throw up a quick ice wall, but it melted and shattered in an instant. Y/N stood a few feet away, and Todoroki panicked for a second, thinking she'd been hurt by the blast. He glanced through the clearing steam, and was relieved to see she had rolled out of the way in time. 

"Don't fight it!" Y/N yelled at him, "He amplifies quirks! Remember Bakugo at the Convention Center?" Of course... why hadn't he realized sooner? This was the same monster who had attacked them before with his father. Whatever you threw at him, he only threw it back stronger. But he had to try something!

Shoto sent out a sheet of ice that wound its way up the monsters legs and sealed him to the ground. In another second, though, the Nomu broke free and shot the same attack back toward him. He tried to leap out of the way, but the ice was larger than anticipated, and a shard caught him in the leg and sent him off balance. 

Todoroki landed hard on the ground, not too far from Y/N. He grimaced, and reached for his injured leg. He tried to thaw the ice covering it, and sat up. 

"Haven't you figured this out, yet?" Shigaraki taunted from afar, "This is the part where you die. My Nomu will make sure of that."

The creature reared back to release another attack of some kind, but this time Y/N was directly in the way. "Y/N!" Todoroki yelled, sending up another ice wall in front of them both. It melted instantly again, and Shoto crawled toward her. 

"Are you okay?" he asked. She sat up wearily, and gave him a worried look. 

"I'm alright," she said, "But we can't keep this up." 

"How cute," Toga said sarcastically, "I can't way for them to die Tomura..." 

"Yes, this is taking a while," Shigaraki sighed and called to his creature, "Finish them already!" 

The Nomu roared and Todoroki prepared to send up another wall of ice, when Y/N placed her hand on top of his. "You can't predict which attack he will use," she said calmly. "Let me."