CHAPTER ONE

"Congratulations! You have been selected among the chosen few to represent Bourne City, in the Silix Fashion World design competition."

Gemini was enthusiastic. She always dreamed of being a renowned fashion designer. Ironically with the sewing skills of an amateur, her drawings of fashion cuts, dinner dresses and suits were testament to her artistic flair. She was so excited, she could feel herself shake. No, she wasn't shaking. Someone was trying to get her attention.

"...emini! You look drunk. Is there a party on for tonight?"

Gemini blinked back to the present, as her chocolate orbs zoned on the face of her curious best friend Emily.

"I'm not drunk, you party animal." Gemini retorted, "Besides you know very well, that I don't drink on weekdays."

She grabbed Emily's arm with an infectious grin.

"My prayer has been answered, Em. I just got into a competition. This is an email from a fashion brand. Check it out."

In her excitement, she shoved her phone in Emily's face. The bright screen reflected harshly on her bad eyes till she moved the phone away.

"Careful with that screen, Gemi. I'm not using my contact lens." Emily gave her friend a glare before reading the mail.

"This message is from Silix Fashion World. The biggest brand we know. I believe in you, girlfriend but no offense. We both know you're not proficient at sewing. Besides why would they contact you?" She frowned, "Did you apply at SFW without telling me?"

Gemini smiled apologetically. "No offense taken. I apologise for not informing you but I applied for a job at Silix Fashion World as a designer two months ago. Although it didn't work out and i am as surprised as you are by this turn of events, I believe this is my chance to make a name for myself out there."

Emily caught the sad under tone in Gemini's voice. "I didn't know you felt this way..." She sighed softly, "I only wish you shared these fears with me, Gem. Trust me when I say that I understand how you feel."

"I know you do," Gemini replied, "we wouldn't be best friends if you did not understand how I feel."

" No we wouldn't." Emily laughed and sobered slightly as a thought occurred to her. "Listen, i'm not trying to be a party pooper here, but what about your job at the bank? Aren't you supposed to resume..."

"Tomorrow, I know." Gemini interrupted. "My boring job can wait. This is my big opportunity and I am not going to waste in on some bank."

"Alright Gem, you know I'll always support you. Maybe they are giving applicants a trial to prove themselves by competing against each other." Emily sighed, shelving her suspicions for later.

"Anyways, when is this competition starting and what time are you to arrive at the venue?"

Gemini looked down at her screen to confirm. "The competition starts tomorrow morning and it reads here, that all contestants must register their attendance at SFW headquarters on or before 17:00 hours today. It's a forty five minute drive."

Emily sauntered to the kitchen island for an avocado.
"Pack a few essentials for tonight. I'll drive you there."

Gemini made a face like she was being offered a cup of blended pizza. The frown on her face turned down Emily's offer before her vocal cords moulded the words.

"No way! You are a terrible driver, Em." She waved her arms around to illustrate her point. "You speed as if you're in a police chase and I wish to arrive at the venue alive."

Emily looked contrite for a deceiving second.
"I promise to drive within the speed limits. I want to do this for you, as your best friend."

Gemini squirmed uncomfortably under her puppy eyed stare. She wished she had a car of her own.

'My God! She played the best friend card and the puppy eyes... She looks sincere. I can't say no to her now.'

"Promise me, Emily"

"Sure, I promise to convey you safely to the venue in one piece." She vowed, looking as innocent as a day-old baby.

"That's fair enough." Gemini sighed. "Thank you so much, Em. One last favour... Will you help me do my makeup?"

Emily bit into a slice of avocado. It had a dull taste. For a moment she mulled over the fact that most things approved by society were dull; by youthful standards but the things tagged 'inappropriate' provided a certain high, a colorful one. Her thoughts were amusing, Gemini's antics were not.

Emily gave her friend a shove as she brushed past her into Gemini's bedroom.

"I always do your makeup."

________________________________________

Thank you for reading. I hope you enjoyed this chapter.
( Have a great day😘)