CHAPTER TWO

Gemini released her tight grip on the sides of her seat as they entered the parking lot of the tall glass building that bore the SFW logo. As usual, Emily drove like a racer at a rally and Gemini needed to calm herself.

She tried ignore Emily's nettlesome yells of "knock em' dead, girlfriend!" as she sped off into the evening rush.
It wasn't working.

Gemini checked her attire as she walked through the revolving glass doors. She was satisfied with her choice of outfit.

'First impressions matter. Nothing says "I'm here to win and look good while doing so" like a body fitting black suit and a pair of red 6 inch platform heels '

She surveyed the interior of the building with an appreciative glint in her eyes.
'Classy decor... Very nice '

Gemini registered with the receptionist and was directed to join eleven others in the lounge.

'So few. They weren't fibbing when they said chosen few '

She picked a seat between a stony faced woman and a bubbly looking teenager. The scarcity of pleasant airs and signs of unnecessary conversation around the woman was oddly comforting.
Gemini needed a moment to think, but her plan for a moment of quiet was ruined when the teen addressed her.

"Hello, my name is Twigy. I apologise if am bothering you but i couldn't help but notice you in that outfit." She paused for a second.
"Are you a fashion designer?"

Gemini groaned mentally.
'Why me?'

"Thank you for the compliment and you are right, I am a fashion designer. " Gemini replied.

  "Nice to meet you. May I know your name?" She asked.

Gemini reached for her phone. "No."

The once bubbly teen began to sputter, probably wondering how a lady so pretty could be so unaccommodating.

Gemini was grateful for a conversational reprieve when a tall middle aged man walked in with a note pad. He cleared his throat and began to speak.
"Good evening ladies and gentlemen. I am Mr Riola Erwin, the personal assistant to the Chief Executive Officer of Silix Fashion World, Mr Herse Tani. On behalf of the planning committee here at SFW, I welcome you all to our design competition."

Mr Riola paused to clear his throat again. Gemini wondered if there was something stuck in his throat.

"This competition lasts only a day." He continued.

"Now don't smile and assume this would be a walk over. This competition will be a test of skill, talent, intelligence and your reaction under pressure. You will all be divided into groups of three. So figure out an idea and make your team the winners of a 30 thousand dollars cash prize."

A funny looking red head raised her hand. "Pardon me sir. You said thirty thousand. Do you mean a 10 thousand cash prize for each member?"

His expression was that of a disappointed parent. "What is your name?"

"Ms Mina Byra." She replied.

"Of course, Ms Byra. It's a ten thousand dollar cash for each member, if your group wins."

Mr Erwin turned to the participants.
"Now, you will be shown to your suites in the penthouse. On the door of your suite, you will find the names of your team members."

He grinned mischievously. "Your room mates."

The contestants reacted with a chorus of irked groans. It was a tricky situation. The possibility of success for a group of individuals clumped into teams with people they've never met was on a scale of one to ten, just number 2.

________________________________________
Thank you for reading. I hope you enjoyed this chapter. (Lots of love ❤️)