CHAPTER EIGHT

One day passed, then two and more as minutes of wallowing turned to hours.  120 hours away from reality. Some of it...

Gemini shoveled another spoonful of ice cream down her throat. She was pathetic. No, she felt pathetic. The muted television showed latest news on Fashion Glitz. Apparently the new CEO of VENUS, a rival company of Silix Fashion World was a 23 year old.

Gemini sobbed.'I'm 25 and I have nothing to show for myself!'

There was a knock on the door. Another attempt at motivating her to embark on a journey away from her couch and outside her apartment.

"Gem, I know you're in there wallowing in your personal ice cream stash. You need to get over what happened and move on. It's been five days for God's sake. The neighbors can scent your stink and I bet they think am crazy just beating on your door and talking to an empty space. Please let me in. I come bearing pepperoni pizza. It's still warm..."

The door opened to reveal Gemini's swollen eyes.

"It's warm?"

Emily smiled affectionately. 'O Gem, your love for fresh pizza knows no bounds...'

She wished she tried the pepperoni pizza technique earlier. Getting Gemini to open the door for the first time in five days was a huge win for hygiene. She could see the mess in the living room through the space above Gemini's head.

"Yes Gem, it's very warm. I just got it. Can I come in now"

The door opened further. Gemini walked back to her comfy couch. She turned off the television.

"You don't get it, Em. I had dreams and ambitions. This was supposed to be my lucky break in the ice of wealth. I think this is a sign. Perhaps it isn't my destiny to become a famous designer. Think about it, Em, everything was a scam! In the words of Bernard Shaw, Life's a farce..."

"Snap out of it and get a shower. You stink, my friend. You can't shut everyone out just because things did not go the way you planned."

She walked to the cupboard above the kitchen sink for a plate.

"Have you called in at the bank? Please tell me you did or you're in big trouble."

Gemini stopped on her way to the bathroom. She felt angry. What was Emily's problem? She always had a way of making her feel stupid. Gemini do this... Do that!

"I'm going to freshen up, Em. Aren't you satisfied? It's my job not yours. You don't know how it feels to have your dreams stepped on. I could stay home for one week if I darn well please. All you ever needed was made easy for you! A scholarship, your dream job and money. Know what? I'm done with you giving me orders. Leave me alone, Emily!"

"Is that how you really feel, Gem? We've been friends for years. I do not order you around and you know it. I've got a shift in thirty minutes. Call me when you remember all we've been through together."

Emily wasn't surprised. Just a little hurt. It was a classic Gemini tantrum. Push everyone away to be alone then throw a pity party that no one cares. She walked out the door.

Gemini stared at the door long after Emily left. She didn't think she would actually walk away. On a second thought, she probably deserved it for being a total grouch. Gemini shuffled around the corner into the bathroom. She needed to get out there and face the world. First stop, Steil Bank.