CHAPTER SEVEN

Movie night became just taco night because Gemini's electricity was cut off by the company. She forgot to pay the bill.
Gemini tried to ignore the sound of Emily's pacing as she concluded an online payment. The bulbs blinked to life when her electricity came on.

"I would appreciate it if you stop wearing a hole in my carpet with your pacing, Em. And if you're upset because I slept off due to stress and all without paying the bill, I apologise. We could have another movie night, I'll even bring popcorn and any junk food available."

Emily stared at her best friend with questioning eyes that asked, what the hell are you talking about?

"Of course not, Gem. Movie and junk food is a great idea but I'm thinking about that competition. Something isn't right here."

Gemini frowned. "For God's sake, Emily Degalo, you are just being a worry wart. My group is going to win, and that's not a fact, it's a spoiler. I also think it is perfectly normal to await the decision of the judges."

She sighed and leaned her weight on a sofa, feeling tired all of a sudden.
"Look Em, just relax. Mr Erwin said to return in the afternoon today. I need to get some sleep for at least..." She checked her phone screen.
"The time is 7:30. Could you wake me up in the next three hours please? Are you spending the day with me? No shifts today right?"

Emily turned on the television and began to search the movie channels for a blockbuster film.

" I'm spending the day here with you. Maybe watch a movie or two while you sleep. We can go to Silix headquarters together. Have a bad dream for me."

Gemini flung a cushion at Emily before leaving to her bedroom. She needed a nap. A victory nap before the door of opportunity opens for her after winning the contest.

             °°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°

"It's been three hours, Gem. Wake up!"

There was someone in her room. An unwelcome second party. She shifted a pillow over her head to block the noise out. Gemini wished she could push the person out, but that would require her leaving the bed.

"O my God, it's Christopher Harrington!"

Sleep evaded her eyes faster than water in a basket.
"Where is he?" She asked as she sat up quickly. She frowned at the sound of Emily's belly aching laughter. It was a prank. A good one.

"Really Em? Was that absolutely necessary?"

"The time is 10:30 and the first try did not work so desperate times called for dire measures."

"Whatever you say, Em." She got out of bed and moved Emily to the side, to search her nightstand.
           'I thought I dropped it here before I slept. Or did i?'

She glanced up at Emily.
"Have you seen my phone?  I need to prepare. We leave for Silix headquarters in an hour or..."

"An hour?" Emily cut in. "What are you doing for an hour?"

Gemini ignored the question. She needed a meal. All that excitement made her feel hungry. She searched the kitchen cupboards for some condiments.
 "Noodles, no. Spaghetti?"
She hummed in thought. "Not today."

Gemini sighted a medium sized bag with a grain of rice detailed on the front. She examined the contents and shrugged.
"Fair enough."

Thirty minutes later, Gemini held a steaming bowl of boiled rice and sauced vegetables.
         'Eat, take a shower, slip into something fabulous and I am off to SFW.'
Everything was going perfectly till she heard Emily scream.

"What's going on?" Gemini asked as she rushed to the living room. Emily was standing shell shocked in front of the television, watching a news scoop on Fashion Glitz.

" You scared me, Em. What is it?" Gemini asked as her eyes strayed from Emily to the headlines. She heard something crash and a scalding sensation on her skin. She felt numb for few seconds and all she could focus on was the shrill voice of the anchor.

"... this is their best design yet. In the words of the Public Relations Office of SFW in a tweet this morning, it is sure to blow every other clothing release by rival companies this year out of the water! Silix Fashion World has just released a new line by lead designer, Anika Sash. Ladies and gentlemen, English meets African print in the leading design of this season. Keep watching Fashion Glitz for more information."

"Good gracious Gemi, is that not your design?"

On the right top corner of her screen, Gemini's pantsuit was displayed. She was furious. Gemini swiped her purse off the coffee table and began to walk out of her apartment. She was going to SFW to confront them.
'the gall of those thieving idiots!'

"Hey! Where are you going? I am not going to make you feel worse by saying, 'I told you so' but you can't just walk out there to confront them."

Emily pointed at the television screen where the picture of Gemini's design still featured.

"Think rationally, Gem. This is Silix Fashion World we're talking about. Call your family lawyer first. I'm sure Counsel Blaire will advice you. What if they threaten you? Besides you're wearing your lunch."

Gemini clicked her fingers in excitement. Emily's suggestion was great. She thought about suing SFW for fraud and making them pay damages. Her ten thousand dollars wasn't lost yet.

"I'm going to change. We're leaving immediately."

The skies began to darken when they sat with Counsel Blaire in her private office. Gemini fought the sob that rose in her throat as she recounted the events of the previous day. Counsel Blaire took some notes on a pad before staring at her client.

"Did you sign a contract stating the terms of the competition?"

"No, I just received an email from the company. I was sure we could use that as a legal base to sue Silix Fashion World for fraud.

The counsel reached across the cider desk to grab Gemini's hand.

"Think hard, Gemini. Do you have any information on your team mates, we could use to contact them? A social media account perhaps? One of them might be in possession of something we could use as evidence in court."

Gemini wished she paid more attention to little details. She sighed.
" All I know is that we were three in our team, Grant Fenoma, Mina Byra and I."

"That's great!" Emily looked relieved. "We could contact them through Facebook."

It took an hour to find Grant and Mina. They were both devastated over the events of the day. In a joint video call with Gemini's lawyer, the duo revealed that they possessed no records that could be used as substantial evidence in court against Silix Fashion World except their verbal testimonies.

The counsel hung up the call before addressing her client.

"Gemini, any experienced lawyer on their side can win this case in minutes and even build a strong suit against you on counts of defamation. In this email, there is no mention of a prize money. It would be easier if you had a recording of Mr Erwin making mention of the thirty thousand dollars prize money. This case lacks evidence. I know it's disheartening, my dear. I wish I could tell you something better, but this whole competition was a scam."

________________________________________
Thank you for reading. I hope you enjoyed this chapter. Leave a vote if you didn't (😂 see what I did there)