18. oh, they did not

Casey:

Just like I predicted, at 5:30 on the dot my mother knocked excitedly on the door and barged in making herself at home in Izzie and I's own home for the short stay.

I internally praised how well I knew my mother for God knows what would have happened if she had entered just a few minutes earlier.

She spent the majority of her visit making conversation while really just trying to divert our attention away from the fact that in actually, she was just trying to organize our room and sort out the contents of our suitcases that had been discarded all over the room already.

"You know, mom," I began, "there is a cleaner who gets paid for this."

She sent a glare in my direction before returning to the clothes she was neatly piling up. "In order for the cleaner to be able to clean, she must first be able to actually make her way into the room." She shot before mumbling a quick, "I don't even want to know what I'm going to be dealing with when you two get your own place," under her breath.

I heard Izzie let out a quick squeak beside me while turning a nice shade of red. I stifled a small laugh and gave her hand a quick squeeze.

"Woah, Elsa, relax, we're sixteen. Let us graduate before you start hiring cooks and cleaners." I joked but in reality, the idea of Izzie and I living together one day made me absolutely weak at the knees with excitement.

My mom sniggered at the remark. "We all know it's going to happen one day." She replied with a wink.

~~

At 6:30 we began to make our way down to the restaurant attached to the hotel for family night.

It was hard to miss the feeling that Izzie had towards attending a dinner specifically for families supporting their children with none of her family. However, me and mom were still going to try our best to ensure that she felt included and as if she belong in our family. After all, she did.

"Did you wanna share a pizza?" I asked as she analyzed the menu for just a little too long.

My voice snapped her out of a thought she had been stuck in. "Huh? Oh, yes please, that sounds nice."

I placed my arm around her and pulled her in for a quick squeeze before releasing her with a quick peck on her temple. Her hand soon found mine and they rested, intertwined together, in her lap.

~~

The four of us were seated on a smaller sized table together. Crowley floated around conversing with parents and ensuring us runners were ready for the first meet tomorrow morning.

After the main eating portion of the night was complete, everyone began to move around to chat with teammates and other parents.

Izzie and I found ourselves in a conversation with Amanda and Crystal from our team. We were discussing past meets when I felt someone appear behind where Izzie and I stood.

"H-hi Nate!" Crystal swooned. How people find him even remotely attractive absolutely baffles me.

When I initially heard that this weekend would be the girls track team only, I was ecstatic. No boys track team and therefore no boys. That was until I was collecting books from my locker when I overheard Nate telling a friend how his parents were forcing him to come along to support his sister, Abbi, who was in the freshman team.

"Just wanted to let you ladies know that there's a party in my room tonight, everyone is welcome." He winked.

Izzie and I turned to each other and she rolled her eyes while I sniggered.