Chapter 8

Mother's Daughter by Miley Cyrus

I get a text from Denis in the middle of work, telling me to pick him up from the ER. With my heart racing, I unknowingly stray in the hospital until I find the room he is in. Monsieur Artis releases me from work with complete understanding. I almost dropped to the ground when I got the message from Denis, Monsieur Artis even offered to give me a ride.

Denis' face lights up and he smilingly holds his hand that has been taken well cared of up, as if it's a trophy.

"My very first broken limb."

I sigh, "What happened?"

"I fell down the broken chair when I tried to get something that was on top of the wardrobe."

"Does it still hurt?" I ask as I sit down next to him and he shrugs.

"It's okay, I'm on pain killers."

"I always told you not to use that chair." I try not to sound reproachful, holding back any other words.

"I know, I should've listened to you babe."

We're silent for a good minute and then he decides that him and I have to get out of the place, because hospitals make him nervous. I make sure that he's fine before we can a actually leave.

Denis is probably the most clumsy person I've ever met, he always manages to hurt himself somehow. I probably should've known, that something was gonna happen this week. Now I'm mad. I wasn't mad a couple of minutes ago, but now I feel this rage slowly building inside me.

"What's wrong?" He notices that I'm being rather annoyed than before.

"What's wrong?" I repeat and scoff.

"I really don't know what the problem is."

"I was worried? You really don't care that you always get hurt don't you? I was worried sick, I had to leave work and then I find out it's only because of your hand." I say with my eyes wide and stacked on the road in front of me.

"Do you think I did it on purpose?"

"Maybe." I clap back and shake my head. "Is it because you're trying to get attention?"

"What?"

"You always get hurt and I have to take care of you."

He laughs, "I thought you liked taking care of me."

"At first I did," I finally look at him, "Now it's just getting ridiculous. I can cancel all my plans of my move and take care of Denis the man child again."

He seems shocked at my sudden outburst.

"Come on Lola, it's not like I lost my hand. It's still there, look-" He waves his broken hand in front of my face.

"Stop!" I grip the steering wheel and try not to collide into another car as I almost lose focus.

"Sorry. I know I won't be able to help you now."

"Yeah, it's okay. I got it."

"Are you sure? I know your thing to play the strong and independent woman."

I frown and he immediately regrets his choice of words, "I didn't mean it like that."

"Shut up Denis, don't say anything anymore."

***

I'm directly heading to my new home after work, hoping that I get something finished today. I've been slacking off and barely moved anything to my new home.